How reliable are Sager laptops?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vildic

Estimable
Jan 20, 2015
Hi guys new here.

I am looking to buy a Sager laptop. Its my first time getting one so I'm a bit reluctant about them. On paper they look amazing.

Thanks in advance.

Solution
Sager/Clevo are rather popular gaming laptops due to their ability to be customized more than most laptops. IMO, the only real downside to Sager laptops is the price shown often does not include an operating system (usually an additional expense) which is a little different from the "norm" as far as laptops. Generally, owners seem to be happy with them (I rarely see problems from them in Tom's Forums).
Personally, I'll be looking at Sager models when it comes time to replace my laptop
Sager/Clevo are rather popular gaming laptops due to their ability to be customized more than most laptops. IMO, the only real downside to Sager laptops is the price shown often does not include an operating system (usually an additional expense) which is a little different from the "norm" as far as laptops. Generally, owners seem to be happy with them (I rarely see problems from them in Tom's Forums).
Personally, I'll be looking at Sager models when it comes time to replace my laptop

Solution

orlbuckeye

Distinguished
I've had 2 Sagers and they were great. They are gaming machines with high end components. The difference between them and Dell and the other big name OEM's is they are made by Clevo and Clevo sells their base machine to multiple companies that put their brand label on them. You have Clevo's all over the worl but Sager on in USA. The big names have the ODM's in taiwan and China manufacture specifically for them. So basically the OEM majors design the laptop and ODM manufacture them for the OEM. Clevo designs their laptops not Sager and Sager brands the laptop with their name. AVAdirect is another company in the USA that brands Clevo machines with their brand.

jmanganelli

Estimable
Dec 27, 2015
I just got my first sager (np9758-s) with the i7 6700k and gtx 980. The build quality is very good. The heat management is also very good.

Previously, I had an HP Elitebook, an HP mobile workstation, a Compaq laptop, and have used Dell laptops and desktops at work. The HP professional products were built to a military specification that indicates that they are somewhat dust and spill proof and can handle some vibration and drops. Obviously, the Sager is not built to this same standard. But for a consumer grade laptop, it is built very, very well. Quiet, cool, fast, rigid frame, sturdy, comfortable keyboard, simple, clean looks, high quality screen.

I am posting because in large part I took a chance on Sager because of the many good reviews I read in forums. I feel as though my investment in Sager is worth it. I am using this computer primarily as a 3D modeling, rendering, and simulation workstation. So far, I have tested this computer's performance by rendering out a 7200 x 7200 pixel image of a large, complex 3D model built in MODO 902 using high raytracing settings (e.g., 512 rays, many light bounces, large indirect ray distance, etc.).

Under full render load with all cores at 100%, the core temperatures are in the range of high 70's to high 80's (celsius). These temperatures were recorded with the HWMonitor application with the laptop sitting on a wooden table top in a room that had a temperature in the low 70's (fahrenheit). The fan noise is noticeable but surprisingly quiet.

This temperature range is acceptable and safe for the hardware but I would rather the chip were operating in the 60-75 degree temperature range. I put the laptop on a coolmaster extra-slim cooling pad with two opolar coolers over the rear heat exhaust vents and that dropped the temperature 10-15 degrees celcius so that the CPU was running under full load for about an hour at between 65-80 degrees celsius. There was moderate fan noise because the opolar fans are a bit louder than the built-in fans or the coolmaster cooling pad fan. My understanding is that these temperatures for a fairly powerful desktop CPU in a laptop are very good, sustainable temperatures that will allow for long-term operation under full service load without damaging the system.

When the laptop was cooled by the internal fan only when running under full load, the system did throttle back the CPU clock speed by 1% occasionally to keep temperatures under 90 degrees celsius. The system never throttled performance down by more than 1%. This should not be taken as a criticism of the laptop. On the contrary. I am astonished at how well-designed the integration of this desktop i7 into this laptop is. The heat management is terrific. For an air-cooled i7 desktop chip in a laptop that is cooled only by the stock built-in fans running at a quiet speed to only have to throttle the CPU back occasionally by 1% while running the cores at full service load for about an hour is very, very good.

Under normal everyday loads, like email, website browsing, and video watching, the temperature ranges from 40-60 degrees celsius with the fans just about silent or 25-40 degrees celsius if i rest the laptop on the coolmaster xtraslim cooler and/or using the opolar vacuum coolers.

Interestingly, the GPU has run surprisingly cool (40-60 degrees celsius) under almost all conditions.

Overall, I am thrilled with the purchase. Other manufacturer's that offer the same laptop (Clevo-based) price the systems at up to $1000 more. And the person who has helped me at Sager has been very knowledgeable, nice, and responsive.

Status
Not open for further replies.