How RIM Plans to Win Back Users With BlackBerry 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Old_Fogie_Late_Bloomer

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2010
Maybe it's just because I'm sick of hearing bad news all the time, but I kind of feel like RIM might be able to pull this off. Or maybe I'm just hoping that. I'm not particularly invested in the company or the platform, I just, you know, want them to succeed, rather than fail.

G

Lovely, just before my upgrade in Feburary, I am looking forward to seeing what Blackberry offers, I will be looking at it closely with an eye to purchase. Love my Android so it will be a hard choice.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
I never really used BBM, but I do miss my keyboard and track pad. More than that, I miss my universal inbox and instantaneous email. Why has no other phone OS come up with a universal inbox for calls, SMS, MMS, email, Facebook, etc?

fudoka711

Honorable
Apr 2, 2012
I do hope RIM will succeed. The more competition, the better it is for the rest of us. If BB10 is really that good, then we can at least hope iOS, Android, and Win8 will step up their game even more.

Vorador2

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2007
[citation][nom]jacobdrj[/nom]I never really used BBM, but I do miss my keyboard and track pad. More than that, I miss my universal inbox and instantaneous email. Why has no other phone OS come up with a universal inbox for calls, SMS, MMS, email, Facebook, etc?[/citation]

My best guess is because the concept is patented by RIM.

In any case, RIM can still have a market in corporate environments that requires integration with mail server, corporate device policies and the like. In that aspect both Apple and Google are behind.

pollom

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
I just migrate BB to windows phone and i miss the keyboard and the LED ho indicates mis call, new email, etc with out unblocking the pone.

G

Universal inbox is not a new idea, and not RIM's (http://www.google.com/patents/US6301245, with lots of prior art references). The more likely case is that people don't really think of it as that big of an problem, and not a main consideration in the phone purchase process. And people have also been trained that things like Facebook and Twitter are separate applications.

koss64

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2007
So they wish to distinguish themselves by copying the social network and messaging melding features of Windows Phone 7 , the multiuser options of Windows Phone 8 and the UI of Android while at the same time acting like they developed SIP? How,original.

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
[citation][nom]pollom[/nom]I just migrate BB to windows phone and i miss the keyboard and the LED ho indicates mis call, new email, etc with out unblocking the pone.[/citation]

Im sure BB has a patent on light indicator. Tho having screen pop ups is not bad either but I still liked the blinky LED :)

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
[citation][nom]Vorador2[/nom]My best guess is because the concept is patented by RIM.In any case, RIM can still have a market in corporate environments that requires integration with mail server, corporate device policies and the like. In that aspect both Apple and Google are behind.[/citation]

Both Apple and Google are NOT behind when it comes to receiving email from exchange, personal, etc. BB does it well but I can no longer see a downside to Active Sync with Apple or Google devices. When my company first adopted multiple smart phone devices BB had an advantage but now that advantage no longer exists. BB will now need a killer app (RIM 10 perhaps) to remain relevant and lets not forget BB is far from dead.

chicofehr

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
I for one thing think that having everything on the same screen to be very useful. I just press m on my keyboard to go to messages where i have all my calls, emails, texts, BBM and everything else. I press U for calculator and a or c for contacts or B for browser. I don't even have to touch the screen (9900) to open an application :p I don't have to open my BBM or Yahoo Msgr or Win Live separately. I just replay like a text and sending and receiving emails feels just like texting except your not limited to the 160 characters. The communication side of it all with the shortcuts of the keyboard makes BB invaluable for me. I do in-fact get more done with BB then the rest of the toys out there which are more for play then anything. Yes, I have used Android and iPhone and I just don't find them as useful for work. They are better for time wasters but not something that is beneficial for work. Playing games on work time is not a good thing :p

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
[citation][nom]pollom[/nom]I just migrate BB to windows phone and i miss the keyboard and the LED ho indicates mis call, new email, etc with out unblocking the pone.[/citation] That is your fault for not doing research... I spent hours before deciding on a my phone (Motorola Atrix HD - which has the purist version of Android 4.x without being a NEXUS device.

Todays Samsung, HTC and Motorolas have a colored LED. Green / Red / Blue / White depending on the message... quite handy, yes.
[citation][nom]robochump[/nom]Im sure BB has a patent on light indicator. Tho having screen pop ups is not bad either but I still liked the blinky LED[/citation] Apparently not since there are non BB phones on the market that have the LEDs as well.

I think BB10 is DOA... there really is NO good excuse for them to be so late... 3 years after they bought out QNX. BB10 should have been out 2 years ago, with BB11 coming out now.

I never liked the previous BB phones... they kind of sucked. But I do hope RIM can craw their way back up and keep MS in #4 or 5th place.

darkavenger123

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
It's too late. All the directors and managers are now using iPhone. Apple has took over RIMs in the Corporate market and Android is taking over the consumer market. RIM should just sell off itself and make some money while they still have some value.

Zingam_Duo

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012
[citation][nom]darkavenger123[/nom]It's too late. All the directors and managers are now using iPhone. Apple has took over RIMs in the Corporate market and Android is taking over the consumer market. RIM should just sell off itself and make some money while they still have some value.[/citation]

"All the directors and managers are now using iPhone." - that's the keyword! :D A mass device that is owned even by hobos :D That's cool no more! Fashion changes! iPhone is old now! :D After 5 years or so... nothing new :D

Status
Not open for further replies.