how significant is the difference between closed-back and open-back?

thereisnoe

Prominent
Nov 28, 2017
So i've been wondering, how much of a difference in soundstage and sound quality do you actually get between a good pair of open-backs and a good pair of closed-backs?

i've also wanted to know if the higher price of open-backs is worth that difference or not.

Finally which would be the best for:
1) casual gaming
2) competitive gaming

I'm not asking for actual headphone suggestions but examples of headphones and links are appreciated. If you want to help me find a pair of headphones using the advice you give me, here's a link to my thread asking for help on chosing a pair:

http://www.tomsguide.com/answers/id-3583274/100-headphones-200-headphones.html

thanks in advance to those that chose to answer.

Solution

Disparity in sound quality? The only difference between an open back set and a closed back set using the same divers and housing is one has an open back and one has a closed back. This changes the sound in various...

Dunlop0078

Estimable
Herald
Feb 13, 2014
Open back also generally has better sound stage which is good for judging distance and direction of sounds. But like said above they let in a lot of ambient noise. So I would say, generally, open back if you are in a quiet room, closed if you want to block out outside noise. Open kack sets also tend to have have a bit less bass, but that will depend on the particular set.

thereisnoe

Prominent
Nov 28, 2017

Could you provide more information as to why this is the case?

thereisnoe

Prominent
Nov 28, 2017

Thanks for your answer, do you happen to know if there’s a disparity in actual sound quality and why the open-backs tend to be more expensive?

thereisnoe

Prominent
Nov 28, 2017

Thank you, as for casual, would you go for open or closed back?

Dunlop0078

Estimable
Herald
Feb 13, 2014

Disparity in sound quality? The only difference between an open back set and a closed back set using the same divers and housing is one has an open back and one has a closed back. This changes the sound in various ways, but the "quality" difference would be subjective. Do open backs tend to be more expensive? I don't know if thats true, it will depend on the particular set. If you had the same pair of headphone one open and one closed I don't think there would be any difference in price, or at least there shouldn't be.

And like said abve open back headphone let in more sound because they are open. When you hear open back or closed back back, that is a literal term. Open are open closed are closed.

Solution