How to buy a new laptop battery?

AssemblerX86

Estimable
Jul 29, 2014
Hi.

I have an HP Pavilion DV6 laptop which has an Intel Core i7 720qm and a GPU formerly named "ATi Mobility HD Radeon 5650". I have been having battery issues lately, even though I got it replaced 2 years ago.

When I did a test using POWERCFG utility on Windows, it says that I have a NiMH battery, which as I have read, die faster than LiON batteries and are not as good. The report also says that the battery design capacity in addition to last full charge is 27648. The manufacturer of the battery is HP.

What I want to know is whether the capacity "27648" is good or bad? And what is its unit of measurement? mA/H? Also, do laptop batteries in general have standard sizes (Like motherboards do: ATX, mATX, ITX, etc...) so I can get a new one for my laptop? Is it possible to get a LiON battery with a high capacity for my laptop which would make it last long before it dies?

So in short, if I go to a PC accessory shop, what should I look for?

Solution
You will not find good batteries for that model unless you find some original HP ones or run across a good vendor that uses quality cells. Aftermarket batteries are pretty much all lower quality, and die soon, as well as lose capacity fast. Even an HP OEM battery this age may have issues, if they sit around for a while, they can go bad. I have pulled new 3-4 year batteries from boxes and they would not work or have low capacity.

Cross your fingers and order something that looks good.

spdragoo

Distinguished
Herald
Oct 17, 2011
The question isn't what units it's measuring, the question is what the result is on a brand-new battery. If your result is 70-90% of that, you're golden. Even 40-60% is at least "OK" (not great, but serviceable); if it's at 20-30%, then you probably want to look into replacing the battery.

As far as getting a replacement...Google search comes up with a lot of vendors (including HP) that are selling replacement batteries for the Pavilion DV6 (https://www.google.com/search?q=HP+Pavilion+DV6+batter&rlz=1C1GCEC_enUS763US763&oq=HP+Pavilion+DV6+batter&aqs=chrome..69i57.1413j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&safe=active&ssui=on), & they seem fairly cheap (under $25 USD).

AssemblerX86

Estimable
Jul 29, 2014

What should I look for when buying the best one? Capacity? Number of cells? Is 5000mAh considered good? Or should I do a calculation depending on my hardware's power consumption?

You will not find good batteries for that model unless you find some original HP ones or run across a good vendor that uses quality cells. Aftermarket batteries are pretty much all lower quality, and die soon, as well as lose capacity fast. Even an HP OEM battery this age may have issues, if they sit around for a while, they can go bad. I have pulled new 3-4 year batteries from boxes and they would not work or have low capacity.

Cross your fingers and order something that looks good.

Solution

AssemblerX86

Estimable
Jul 29, 2014

The one that came with the laptop died a few years after I bought the laptop, then I got a new HP one which died after 1.5-2 years, either HP batteries are bad for the Pavilion DV6, or maybe because they are NiMH.

It may be how you are using the laptop, keeping it plugged in all the time, and some other things can drop battery life. Check the year of manufacture on the batteries. You may have been using it for 2 years but it may have been several years old before you bought it.

AssemblerX86

Estimable
Jul 29, 2014

So chemical type of battery doesn't matter? Might it be because its a 1st gen Core i7 with a TDP of 45W?