How to clone a hard drive on Windows

USAFRet

Illustrious
Step 11.
Resist the urge to poke around in the 'new drive' to see if everything is there. Absent an error message, it is. And you couldn't tell anyway.

At the end of the clone process, power OFF. Physically disconnect the old drive. Power up, and allow the system to try to boot from ONLY the new drive.

This is not optional.

Nov 17, 2022
Don't forget to In large the patition size of the clone if you are transfering to a larger HD or you will be locked out of the extra space (Spoken from a position of pain ! :rolleyes:)
You can do this buy moving the potitions to the right of the OS to the right more so the non used space is next to the OS then left click on the OS potition and selecting Fill space.
It will save you around a half hour of wasted time :D.

soplastered2

Estimable
Aug 17, 2018
Step 11.
Resist the urge to poke around in the 'new drive' to see if everything is there. Absent an error message, it is. And you couldn't tell anyway.

At the end of the clone process, power OFF. Physically disconnect the old drive. Power up, and allow the system to try to boot from ONLY the new drive.

This is not optional.
There was almost 10 GB of data missing and I needed to download and install another program that compares the two drives to find out spicifically what those files were (could not figure out how to do that with Macrium. I decided to do it over with an old program I still had kicking around called AIOMEI. It was so much easier I'm not sure why you recommended Macrium. I will stick with AIOMEI from now on because you can move entire discs, but moving partitions instead of moving entire discs is very easy, even for me.

soplastered2

Estimable
Aug 17, 2018
Learning how to clone a hard drive on Windows is easier than you may imagine. We cover everything you need to know in this SSpEvhC4BkF43tjBGDsiRPe.

How to clone a hard drive on Windows : Read more
I'm wondering why you recommended Macrium instead of AOMEI? I tried following your guide but it was difficult since I was only trying to clone a partition, not an entire hard drive. When I finally figured out how to do what it was I was trying to do it took 24 hours and almost 10GB were missing. I then needed to install another program (FreeFileSync) to determine what files were missing. I decided to redo the process with AOMEI, a program I had for quite some time, and it was not only easier but faster. I am not an employee with AOMEI. I am just a schmo who isn't very good with computers, trying to get something done.

USAFRet

Illustrious
I recommended Macrium, because that is what I use.
I know it works.

10GB actually missing data, or a difference in total file size of 10GB?

By default, Macrium applies some light compression to the files.
Also, it leaves off things not needed. Pagefile, temp files, hibernation.

Windows reports my C drive as 238GB consumed.
A Macrium Image of that is only 172GB.