Question How to "connect iTunes" to a home stereo?

Arbogast

Prominent
Jun 10, 2019
I'm not especially tech-literate and need some advice.

I've decided it's finally time to toss my CDs and vinyl and simply play music via iTunes.

My question: How can I get iTunes (which is on my computer in another room) to play in my living room. Preferably, I'd like to be able to do it via my current, excellent Bose wall speakers. If that's not possible, what do I need to buy? Is there a home-audio component that you can essentially load iTunes onto (i.e., onto which you could transfer the mp3s from your iTunes) that's connected to your existing speakers? Seems like such a thing should exist.

If not, do I have to go the Bluetooth route? And what would that entail, component-wise? New speakers? A subwoofer?

Any guidance I could get on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Connect the computer audio out to whatever connection you have on the Bose speakers. If the are in the wall you must have some sort of wiring going to them to run. Find where that is, run a cable from the computer to the inputs for the speakers.

Or you can use anything that can run iTunes, a phone, tablet, laptop, etc... and connect to the same inputs on the speakers.

If you want to go wireless, that would depend again on where the wiring to the speaker amplifier / pre-amp are in relation to the computer or source since bluetooth has a fairly short range.

Arbogast

Prominent
Jun 10, 2019
Thanks much for the advice.

If I went with a tablet or laptop, would I need any kind of an amp or subwoofer between it and the speakers?

It's weird: It's like I'll be buying a laptop or tablet while having no need for internet connectivity (I'd be loading iTunes from an external hard drive), word processing, etc. I'm essentially buying a hard drive and a screen, it seems.

I wonder why there isn't a home-stereo component that's specifically designed for this. Basically, something that has a screen like a tablet or laptop but is solely for digital-music use (i.e, would have an interface that's something like iTunes). Or am I wrong....does such a component exist?

Thanks much for the advice.

If I went with a tablet or laptop, would I need any kind of an amp or subwoofer between it and the speakers?

It's weird: It's like I'll be buying a laptop or tablet while having no need for internet connectivity (I'd be loading iTunes from an external hard drive), word processing, etc. I'm essentially buying a hard drive and a screen, it seems.

I wonder why there isn't a home-stereo component that's specifically designed for this. Basically, something that has a screen like a tablet or laptop but is solely for digital-music use (i.e, would have an interface that's something like iTunes). Or am I wrong....does such a component exist?

Yes you need an amp with any device for the speakers, but if you have built in speakers in your place they would already have an amp running them. Are you not using those speakers now? If you are, how are things connected to them?

You did not say you were going to be running files from an external hard drive, not sure what you mean by iTunes now, do you have purchased songs in iTunes? Or do you just have MP3 or some other music files? If you just have MP3 files, you can use any program to play them not just iTunes.

Yes there are tons of digital music devices out there, but you need to first describe exactly what you are trying to do here. iTunes is a specific Apple application and it does not run on every music player out there, pretty much things like computers and phones/tablets. For example how are you planning to control all of this for changing songs, changing volume, etc...? A music player can play the music but it usually sits in one place connected to the amp/receiver that runs the speakers and you need to walk over to it to change things.

Something like this will play high quality music, and you can control it with a phone app https://www.amazon.com/FiiO-Resolut...55f1b&pd_rd_wg=SKwHT&pd_rd_i=B07L8P8QDY&psc=1

This is pretty neat, has an amp built in and a wall mounted player https://www.monoprice.com/product?p...Sl1woc7SoKPSoNphVO1F0jzkHDiHqYhcaAl5CEALw_wcB

Or a tablet setup with a stand and a remote wired to the music amp driving the speakers Fire HD tables are great for the price https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YGYVSPX?ref=ods_tab_dpcc_onx_rc_nd_ucc&th=1 https://www.amazon.com/Century-Acce...t=&hvlocphy=9001809&hvtargid=pla-870254008282

Last edited:

Arbogast

Prominent
Jun 10, 2019
Thanks for such a thoughtful response! And my apologies for not getting back to you sooner.

I think I haven’t been very specific in my wording—again, I’m not very tech-savvy. What I meant re the hard drive was just that I keep all my music file backed up on an external hard drive. The idea being that, whatever device I bought for this living-room setup I’m planning, I could just plug the hard drive into it and upload the music that way. That’s all.
As for the music-playing app…I suppose using iTunes would be easiest, but I’m not married to it; as long as any alternate app is relatively easy to navigate.
The speakers I have are a simple, very old, pair of Bose that are mounted on my wall. I’ll replace them if I have to, but last time I checked, they still sounded great.
Looked at the links you sent me (thanks again)…

--The FiiO M6…I mean, it looks like it’s the size of a cellphone. What I’m looking for is something that’s meant for home use, that’s not meant to be portable. Something with a large-ish screen/interface that would allow easy viewing and navigation, similar to having iTunes on a large laptop or desktop monitor.

--The Monoprice…So this is what I’d use to connect a wireless mp3player/tablet/laptop with the wall speakers, yes? That could be helpful. Though, again, in truth, I don’t really have a problem with wired connecting among these components.

--The Fire HD tablet is something closer to what I’m looking for, though I’d need something a bit more “substantial”—considerably larger screen, for one thing. But also: I have 815g of music files. I’d like something that could store at least 1T.

--TNP Wireless Remote…I have no idea what I’d do with this.

I remain perplexed that there doesn’t seem to be a component (designed for home use) that fits the bill. It’s looking like a tablet/laptop is the closest thing I’m going to find. Am I right?

Yes a touch screen system like a tablet or a 2-1 laptop or even an all-in-1 PC system would work for you if you want a larger screen.

A used MS Surface system would work for you as a play-back system with a decent size touchscreen or can get an all in one PC with a touchscreen if you want an even larger screen.

The remote, you would use it to control the audio without having to walk over the the computer or receiver every time.

Arbogast

Prominent
Jun 10, 2019
Yes a touch screen system like a tablet or a 2-1 laptop or even an all-in-1 PC system would work for you if you want a larger screen.

A used MS Surface system would work for you as a play-back system with a decent size touchscreen or can get an all in one PC with a touchscreen if you want an even larger screen.

The remote, you would use it to control the audio without having to walk over the the computer or receiver every time.

Yeah, that's what I thought. Just had a look at tablets with 1T storage, though....they're really expensive-- like between $1300 and @2200!

I'll say it again: It seems beyond weird that no audio-component manufacturers offer something suitable. Baffling.

In any event, you've been incredibly helpful and generous and I've taken up enough of your time. Thanks very, very much!

Arbogast

Prominent
Jun 10, 2019
Yeah, that's what I thought. Just had a look at tablets with 1T storage, though....they're really expensive-- like between $1300 and @2200!

I'll say it again: It seems beyond weird that no audio-component manufacturers offer something suitable. Baffling.

In any event, you've been incredibly helpful and generous and I've taken up enough of your time. Thanks very, very much!

Probably best, I'm thinking, to just get a conventional laptop.

There are home use media players, but they are going to cost a lot more than a computer using the audio jack on it if you already have an amplifier for your speakers. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B083TG9L2...ifi-us-1131898660233492200-20&geniuslink=true