How to connect my camera through HDMI in to my laptop and make it recognise it as a webcam?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Felipe_1

Estimable
Oct 5, 2015
I have a camera which I can connect to my computer through HDMI. I want to make it recognise it as a webcam. How can i do this? Windows 10

Solution

1) Must be ancient, only the old alienwares had that.
2) Not possible at all

Main issues are as follows:
1) The HDMI In capability of the alienware method was only to route the HDMI directly to the laptop's panel. It was never meant for capture purposes, and even something as simple as outputting audio from the HDMI to the laptop's speakers was a huge pain!
2) There is a specific "webcam protocol" that hardware adheres to to be used as a webcam. HDMI is definitely not part of it. You need a to capture the HDMI input first, the output a compressed stream as an input...
Video ports are one way ports, they are either inputs or outputs not both.

I would say that is the way with audio ports as well, but the 3.5 jacks can be assigned as a headphone/speaker out or mic/line in input.
On most anything else though audio ports are strictly an input or an output as well.

Felipe_1

Estimable
Oct 5, 2015
It is a laptop with a HDMI IN/OUT as rare as it sounds, I know what I'm talking about. I just want to know how to make the computer recognize it as a webcam.

1) Must be ancient, only the old alienwares had that.
2) Not possible at all

Main issues are as follows:
1) The HDMI In capability of the alienware method was only to route the HDMI directly to the laptop's panel. It was never meant for capture purposes, and even something as simple as outputting audio from the HDMI to the laptop's speakers was a huge pain!
2) There is a specific "webcam protocol" that hardware adheres to to be used as a webcam. HDMI is definitely not part of it. You need a to capture the HDMI input first, the output a compressed stream as an input device.
3) There's a dozen iterations of this question, usually when using capture cards, all of them come up with the same solution: just buy a damn webcam and save yourself time and money ;)

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.