How to Connect my TV to a 5.1 Home Cinema system

Dinlo33

Commendable
Jan 4, 2017
Hi all,
I have just bought a SONY HT-RT3 system and cannot for the life of me connect it to my TV and other tech.

My TV has two HDMI ports and NO Optical/TOSLINK ports. (I can't find out if the HDMI ports are ARC anywhere!)

The Home Cinema has everything connected via the Sub. It has:
1 HDMI
1 OPTICAL
1 3.5mm Jack

The problem comes in because I want to be able to connect my Sky Box, PS4 (both of which have Optical Ports) AND my sound system.

I have an HDMI splitter and and ARC supported Cable but only one output in the splitter.

The goal is to have the sound from Sky and the PS4 coming out of my speakers without having to faff with cables every time!

Or the other option (if there is something available) is to convert the HDMI/Red, white and yellow plugs to Optical?

PLEASE HELP ME!

Many thanks,
W

Solution
cant say if it does or does not. you did not give us a model number and brand (though if you already read the manual thats about all we can do). if you dont see it listed anywhere it might not have anything.

if it does not an alternative would be using a hdmi switch + hdmi audio extractor (these also come in combination type boxes) with optical output. hdmi output to tv with the optical going to the home theater. make sure the box is 5.1 over optical capable (not all are) and that your home theater is 5.1 capable over optical (not all are). hdmi input to the home theater would be better, but if you lack arc on the tv thats not an easy fix.

perhaps the easiest is to connect the hdmi(arc) between sound system and tv then hook all sources to a simple hdmi switch which then goes to the tv input. either a remote control (on some units) or simple push button switch controls source

Dinlo33

Commendable
Jan 4, 2017

The only issue is that I don't know if my TV has an HDMI ARC input! I assume it would considering it's only a year or so old, but not that expensive...
So assuming it is- would I plug the Home Cin into the HDMI1 (ARC) and then the HDMI splitter into port 2 (no arc), and the sound would come out the home cin? And would I also have the source on the TV set to HDMI 2 then too yes?

Many thanks,
W

cant say if it does or does not. you did not give us a model number and brand (though if you already read the manual thats about all we can do). if you dont see it listed anywhere it might not have anything.

if it does not an alternative would be using a hdmi switch + hdmi audio extractor (these also come in combination type boxes) with optical output. hdmi output to tv with the optical going to the home theater. make sure the box is 5.1 over optical capable (not all are) and that your home theater is 5.1 capable over optical (not all are). hdmi input to the home theater would be better, but if you lack arc on the tv thats not an easy fix.

Solution