How to connect surround sound using optical cable. My tv and reciever only have optical output. How can I do this without an o

Acie__31

Commendable
Oct 7, 2016
I have an old Sony one piece reciever. I'm trying to hook up surround sound with optical. Since they only both have digital output I get no sound. It a samsung plasma flat screen. For some reason no sound either when using analog jacks from tv to reciever. But can get surround sound from a gaming device. Video to tv rca to reciever. Please help.

Emanuel Elmo

Estimable
Mar 21, 2014

What kind of surround speakers do you have?
And if I am understanding this correctly, If your receiver does not have an optical in, you can not hook up your surround sound (optical out) to your receiver (optical in)

analog CANNOT do surround. Optical to Optical should work, and you said you have both so I don't understand.

if you have no optical nor anything labeled as DIGITAL INPUT on receiver then this receiver cannot do surround.

However old, if you can do analog to analog, you will get stereo.

if TV has no analog output jack, and receiver has ONLY analog input jacks, sometimes on on TV menu, you must first configure for STEREO output, and purchase a "Toslink to RCA converter."

Emanuel Elmo

Estimable
Mar 21, 2014

you do know that all receivers are still capable of having a multi-channel analog speakers to create a surround sound yes?

which is also why receivers still have a 2-wire speaker connection that is labeled in the back front, center, surround, and subwoofer and more expensive units can even have 2 center channels.

Anything is possible, but until OP clarifies his situation, we are engaging in hypotheticals.