How to connect vintage bookshelf speakers to PC?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ruppe

Estimable
Jul 26, 2014
Hi.

I bought a nice pair of vintage speakers (Technics SB-F2), and I'm wanting to connect them to my PC. I have no idea of how to go about doing this. From what I've researched so far, it looks like I need a receiver or amp I think...?

The only connections on the back of the speakers are raw wire, so they're not powered.

I'm on a pretty tight budget, so the cheaper, the better. (I usually end up buying used from eBay though).

Any help would be very much appreciated!

Thanks,

Hunter

Solution
I would look at Craigslist for your area. $25-40 should get you a 5.1 AV Receiver that will allow you to upgrade and use surround if you want, as well a adding a sub. Google a model you think might be decent and see what reviews you can find. Some names in that price range to watch for would be Sony, Pioneer, Denon,..
Here's an example near you : https://charlotte.craigslist.org/ele/6069307521.html

ddmeltzer8

Estimable
Jan 25, 2017

Hi.U seem to know the basics about this topic and I have a similar question:I have 2 vintage Radionette TK 18 S but I`m a bit confused about the specs.
This is what it says on the back -

Impedance = 4 OHMS
Max continuous load = 25w
Max peak load = 40w
Input (at 96dB) = 4w
Frequency range = 50-20.000 Hz

What wattage amp do I need run them from my pc?

Thanks.

Dugimodo

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2011
40 ohms is very high for speakers, if it's real you'd need an impedance matching transformer to run them from a standard amplifier. As to wattage anything from 10-50W would be ok, higher is ok as long as you don't turn it up all the way.

Are you sure it's not 4 ohms?

I reccomended a T-amp last time and I'll do it again, the sound quality is superior to most second hand amps you'd find around the same price.
However a used amp as recommended above is also a good option. Just sort out that impedance first, 40 ohms is an issue.

ddmeltzer8

Estimable
Jan 25, 2017

Sorry,its 4 ohms.I had to read the label upside-down...
Is T-amp a brand?
Thanks.

Dugimodo

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2011
It's a type of amp, there was a link in my earlier answer to the original question. If you got one you also need a suitable 12V power supply.

Just get a cheap used amplifier is the easiest option really, I just really like T-amps.