How to Create Windows Vista Restore Points

Status
Not open for further replies.

burnley14

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
I've never gotten a restore point to solve my problem effectively. If it's bad enough that I'm searching for a restore point, it almost never works and I end up reinstalling the entire OS

G

I, too, have seldom had success with restore points, at least in XP. So I have used Norton Ghost in advance of installing new software so I can re-image my machine to an earlier date.

tanguswolf

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2009
I thought system restore was first introduced in Windows Millenium the rush to market os prior to XP release. Oh what a sweet piece of OS it was.

Codesmith

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2003
I always turn off system restore. Instead I repartition my drive and move the location of my desktop, my documents, firefox profiles to the 2nd partition. The first partition is just for installed software.

I use True Image to do full backups of my C: drive. I use syncback to backup my data folders to an external hard drive.

OS failure ... boot from CD and restore from the latest backups.
Hard drive failure ... restore documents from external hard drive.

System Restore is better than nothing but barely.

G

System Restore has been a God send all these years with XP Pro. I've been running it on 3 machines and whenever I've screwed up I just go back far enough to erase my mistake. Bam, everything is back up to speed and my rig is rightous again. 5 minutes from start to finish and all my emails etc. are fine. I might have to download a program again but it's a small sacrifice for a quick fix. * Make sure your systems has enough MB's to leave you plenty of Restores. I received one computer and when it came time to do a restore I had one and that wouldn't do it. I always back up with Acronis True Image so I had to go through the hassle of a backup which takes allot more than 5 minutes. * When I got my Vista Home Premium Laptop the first time I went to use System Restore it was'nt there! I had to put it together and I still couldn't add MB's. The bottom line is, It's been a lifesaver. Saved my bacon more times than I can remember. * sjeffreya

Status
Not open for further replies.