How to Deal with Tech Support Call Scams

Status
Not open for further replies.

saurus

Honorable
Aug 30, 2012
Be very careful about making calls immediately if you hang up after they called you! What they do now is stay connected so when you call you go straight back to them as they are still connected to your phone. If possible use another phone/mobile to call your ISP.

Tom Waller

Estimable
Jan 14, 2015
I once got a scam call saying my Windows 8 pc's in my household are having troubles. Despite my PC being on 7 and the rest macintosh, I pretended as if I believed the man and made out as if I did what he told me to do. I then said oh, an error has came on the screen. The man got confused and asked me what it said. I said to the man that the word scam came on my screen. He then tried to direct me to do something else. I explain another error came up and it said artist.

It took him a while but he then realised what I said and put the phone down. It's been over a month now and I don't get those phone calls any more :))))))

daglesj

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2007
I do all sorts when I get these calls. The last one when he said "Please press the CTRL key!"

I just said "Key? Is that like in a door lock?"

He asked a couple more times and then realised, swore and hung up.

Paul Wagenseil

Senior Editor
Apr 11, 2014
I had some fun with my most recent tech-support-scam caller too -- I kept asking her inane questions about Windows. Finally, she caught on, laughed, said "Now you are wasting my time" in a charming Indian accent, and hung up.

use common sense

Estimable
Jul 2, 2015
Someone from the Windows Technical Department just called. It's going to be really hot today, so I went round the flat closing them all.

Paul Wagenseil

Senior Editor
Apr 11, 2014

Ha ha! Sound advice.

Tradesman1

Honorable
When they tell you you have a problem with your Windows reply "Really, I'm Agent (whatever)...., FBI Cyber Crimes Division, what's your name again? That tends to have them take your number off their list, otherwise they will call back

Status
Not open for further replies.