How to: digital connections to soundbar with multiple devices and older TV

geotrouvetout

Honorable
Nov 11, 2012
I have an older LCD TV with an hdmi in and optical port out and analog out. I want to get a new 5.1 soundbar system but I'm struggling with what to get for the connections.

To the soundbar I want to connect the following devices

- older TV (no HDMI ARC)
- DVD player
- Roku
- possibly a game console later.

But I want to get the best of the soundbar on all devices so only use digital connections.

On my current system, I manually switch optical cable between the devices I use at the moment to the soundbar, one for the TV, one for the DVD and one for the Google TV.

How can I connect 3 or 4 devices to a new soundbar (which usually only has 1 optical input) without that cable shenanigans?

geotrouvetout

Honorable
Nov 11, 2012
Thanks. The TV does not pass through the sound, I have to connect the DVD directly to the sound system. A switch is what I was looking at indeed, the only solution I've found so far except I would go with an optical rather than HDMI.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Audio 1
T Audio 1
P Audio 2
Q Audio 6
X Audio 6
R Audio 21
T Audio 3
B Audio 8
M Audio 3
B Audio 3
1 Audio 1
A Audio 1
P Audio 3
S Audio 2
C Audio 1
T Audio 6
A Audio 1
C Audio 4
F Audio 2
B Audio 5
Similar threads
Question How can I connect Altec Lansing Ada995 to a digital Sony TV?
Question DAC converter doesn’t connect to tv (it does on ps3/ps4 though -help)
Question Connecting headphones via wire to Samsung Smart Curved TV
Question my led tv has no digital audio out, and i want to connect it to hd audio rush 5.1 for better surround sound of my logitech z506 speaker. please help!
Question If I have one speaker connected to my tv with a digital to analog converter, can a second speaker pair using Bluetooth?
Connecting a speaker to smart tv.
Who processes the sound when SmartTV app is connected to a soundbar via HDMI-ARC?
Solved! Connecting TV's digital output to PC's digital input using a converter.
Solved! Yamaha RX-V467 digital receiver to connect sound from Toshiba TV that uses WLAN for built in VUDU app?
Solved! Can i connect external speakers without a receiver to my Toshiba Model 47ZV650U TV? It has a USB & Digital Audio Out ports.
Solved! Connecting TV to Soundbar
Solved! How To Connect An XGIMI H1 Projector to Vizio 5.1 Soundbar for Digital Sound
i have a PC with SPDIF sound card and a music system with digital/optical out and aux in and out.is there any way to connect t
Connecting Samsung soundbar to Sceptre tv
Help connecting Vizio Soundbar (SB3651-E6) to Pioneer PDP-4280 plasma TV
I need help connecting TV to Soundbar. TV has no optical or analog output.
understanding digital audio to soundbar with 2 external sources connected to TV via HDMI
Connecting digital audio of PC to soundbar from HDMI output to Optical input
how do i connect my jensen digital tv to my samsung soundbar without the optical cord
Connecting Zenith plasma TV to a soundbar

ASK THE COMMUNITY