How to Find an iMovie Alternative for Your Windows PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

majorlag

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
iMovie alternatives are plenty for Windows. Premiere ranks up there at the top, but there are plenty of others out there.

Google has its own video editor for when you want to upload to youtube. For bare basic with more plugins then you can shake a stick at, Virtualdub is tried and true. If you want a more updated look and feel program, then Avidemux might be more your thing. However, if you are looking at software that has a pleasant palette as a criteria, then your not looking at software to get the job done, and want eye candy to stare at. Two other's that you should really look at is VideoLan Movie Creator. It does everything you need plus a pleasant palette! And the runner up and the software that I use is Avisynth.

Now Avisynth is a frameserver, and is not for the beginner. There are plenty of frontends for it. Avisynth can even use some Virtualdub plugins. You use it with a handfull of other tools to get great results, each tool doing better then some One click wonders (source, output, click run).

Now one last thing, MKV is a widely supported format. I use MP4, but MKV can hold it all! supported by hardware vendors, and used nearly exclusively by Anime subbers. There is no hate invovled. Please be more informed.

~Majorlag

battler624

Honorable
Jun 30, 2012
It seems i am the only after effect user here...
Quite sad.

@Majorlag , Mkv is but a container, same as MP4 it just contains thing differently and easier to handle really.. in mp4 you can directly edit the H.264 but in the mkv you have different streams on for H.264 and one for audio.

majorlag

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
@battler624, I am aware MKV and MP4 are containers, that is why I wrote MKV can hold it all. MP4 just like MKV has different streams, video, audio, subtitles.

My complaint was the author making out MKV as some evil container. And having to shell out more money on combersome converter is not true. The author even linked to another tom's article on how to Extract contents from an MKV if your program of choice does not support MKV editing natively.

~Majorlag

G

This article overlooks the best options out there for free or cheap video editing.

For a great free video editor, try Serif Software's MoviePlus Starter Edition. It's free, very feature-rich and easy to use (as video editors go). Adding MPEG, MP4 and DV codec support costs 8 dollars or 5 Euros.

For a great video editor under $100, Corel VideoStudio Pro is powerful and consistently praised for having a clear, logical interface. Many of its interface elements are very iMovie-like. Corel VSP is what iMovie would have grown into by now if Apple had tried to develop iMovie as a retail product.

Corel VSP's main competition is Cyberlink PowerDirector, which also costs less than $100. Both programs are regularly rated higher than Adobe Premiere Elements in comparative reviews, and both feature a more iMovie-like interface than Premiere elements.

This article WAS supposed to be about finding an iMovie-like ewditing experience in Windows, wasn't it?

Status
Not open for further replies.