how to find CMOS battery in toshiba satellite c50-b920?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Solution
:bounce:The C50-B does NOT have an RTC "separate" battery. The RTC relies on power from the main Laptop battery. It is a new innovation from Toshiba. Prove this by removing the battery (two screws)...the warning sign will then "pop up" next Boot. Cheers...John :)
This solution is 100% guaranteed to be the answer.
My Toshiba C50-B was purchased in August of 2014 so is not 2 years old yet.
So...don't go looking for a cmos battery (RTC as it is now called)...coz there isn't one in this model Toshiba Satellite.

Hope this helps out guys

ps. 45 years in IT ... 35 years Computer Forensics ... worked on my first Hard Drive in 1974 (size of a brick and about as heavy...Lol) ... The very first Hard Drive (HDD) out of America needed a forklift...

John_295

Commendable
Mar 13, 2016
:bounce:The C50-B does NOT have an RTC "separate" battery. The RTC relies on power from the main Laptop battery. It is a new innovation from Toshiba. Prove this by removing the battery (two screws)...the warning sign will then "pop up" next Boot. Cheers...John :)
This solution is 100% guaranteed to be the answer.
My Toshiba C50-B was purchased in August of 2014 so is not 2 years old yet.
So...don't go looking for a cmos battery (RTC as it is now called)...coz there isn't one in this model Toshiba Satellite.

Hope this helps out guys

ps. 45 years in IT ... 35 years Computer Forensics ... worked on my first Hard Drive in 1974 (size of a brick and about as heavy...Lol) ... The very first Hard Drive (HDD) out of America needed a forklift to move it (1956)..........................

Solution

sarah_0880

Commendable
Dec 26, 2016
Thanks, John_295. This is so bizarre. I've only been in IT for 10 years, but this is a first for me. I'm doing some work for a friend (who has the Toshiba) and I don't know how to explain why she's getting an error message saying "RTC Battery Low" when there is no RTC battery in the first place. Thanks again, for the post though- glad I read this before I took the laptop apart and went crazy looking for a battery that doesn't exist. :pt1cable:

KCdisco

Prominent
Apr 6, 2017

It DOES exist but it is located IN de main battery housing !!!

First of all, the video that Laptop_Nerd is referring to, shows an empty space where the battery is supposed to be, so this model does not have a CMOS battery. And KCdisco says it's located in the main battery is completely wrong, so the best answer is that of John_295 with his experience in computers.

Jun 7, 2018

THANK YOU for posting this and saving me the effort of figuring out whether or not I should take the motherboard out and look for the "missing" CMOS battery on the top side of the motherboard :-D

Status
Not open for further replies.