How to flatten a file

jana2002

Estimable
Oct 15, 2014
Hello. I am trying to learn how to make a .png element (transparent background). I am following the tutorial on it from this site but when I go to files and try to flatten it is not an option. Does that ring a bell for anyone? It is probably an obvious fix but ya'got me on what that fix might be.

Also I am interested in taking royalty free images and altering them to .png files. Is it possible to do that?

Thank you.

JB

Solution
Truthfully that guide is bad and I don't understand why they're using ps7. Ps7 has all the tools you need to do this but just for anyone else that reads this thread, Adobe offers cs2 for free so you get some new features. https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/cs2-product-downloads.html

To create transparency, you can just erase what you don't want and then just save as png. It's that simple unless you are talking about something else.

I could go into some more in depth steps though:
1. Open the file: You can do, file> open, drag the image on the ps icon or into ps, or whatever other way to open the file in ps. When you open a jpg, it's a single locked layer. You can double click on the layer in the layers panel to unlock it...

What tool are you using to remove the background? Have you tried the magnetic lasso tool or something similar to select the object and then copy and paste it into a new file with a transparent background?

Three questions:
1) What version of Photoshop are you using?
2) Any way you could share that file?
3) Are there any hidden layers?

jana2002

Estimable
Oct 15, 2014

jana2002

Estimable
Oct 15, 2014
I am using ps7. How do I send you the file I am using. It actually isn't that I am using that particular picture it was just one I had up and so I used it, but it says it is a jpg and the lasso didn't work. I am not sure about the hidden layers. Maybe I should have added I am new to this? :0

k1114

Distinguished
Truthfully that guide is bad and I don't understand why they're using ps7. Ps7 has all the tools you need to do this but just for anyone else that reads this thread, Adobe offers cs2 for free so you get some new features. https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/cs2-product-downloads.html

To create transparency, you can just erase what you don't want and then just save as png. It's that simple unless you are talking about something else.

I could go into some more in depth steps though:
1. Open the file: You can do, file> open, drag the image on the ps icon or into ps, or whatever other way to open the file in ps. When you open a jpg, it's a single locked layer. You can double click on the layer in the layers panel to unlock it. A new layer panel should come up and you can just hit ok. The new layer replaces the locked layer.

2. Make the transparent parts: Just like opening, everything has multiple ways to get the same outcome but I won't go through them all. I'll mention 2 methods though. Use the eraser tool (E) to erase the part of the image you want transparent. (You can adjust the brush from the top or the brush window.) The other method is by using the lasso tool (L), magic wand (W), or other selection tools to make selections and then delete your selected area. (You can click the "refine edge" button at the top to adjust the edge of the selection which might be ugly.) Sometimes it's easier to select it rather than using the eraser. Whatever shows as the checkered squares is what's transparent. (There are multiple eraser tools as well as lassos. Any tool with a small triangle you can click and hold to bring up the other tools. Just wanted to mention this since ken mentioned the magnetic lasso and you just said lasso which is the default one.)

3. Save the file: File> "save as" or "save for web." Both will work as long as it's saved as a png but save for web offers more options for better compression. It also gives a preview window. Png's do not save layers so flattening is not necessary. (Unless it's an animated png but that can't be selected unless you have animation set up. Fun fact; you can create animations in ps.) Hidden layers will not be shown when saved as a png so whatever you see on the canvas is what you get.

Pro tip:
The thing about deleting is that it would be gone forever which is why us pros use layer masks. This just makes parts "hidden" so you can just adjust the mask until it's how you want it without worrying that you will lose parts forever or not have to make copies and retry (or undo undo undo undo). Here's a random tut off google which seems to go into what I'm explaining. (I didn't read through it but it's from a reputable ps tut site.) Coincidentally he's using cs2 but as I said earlier, ps7 has all these tools. http://www.photoshopessentials.com/basics/layers/layer-masks/

Solution

jana2002

Estimable
Oct 15, 2014

jana2002

Estimable
Oct 15, 2014
Thank you for the great post. Now that the weekend is over and the kids will be out of the house I will sit and work on this tomorrow. I do want to know though if I were to download the cs2 if all the things saved in my ps7 would still be there.

jana2002

Estimable
Oct 15, 2014
some brushes i think and maybe some masks. I just downloaded a ton of stuff that I have not added to the program they are separated as of now. Is the CS2 a full version? And it is free? Today I am going back through the posts and trying everything so I will have something to report later today. I do so appreciate the help.