How to get contacts from a lost phone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Solution
It depends entirely on the type of phone you have. If you have an Android phone, your contacts should be backed up on your Gmail account, so you might try logging in on a computer terminal and seeing if they are there. There are similar backup utilities for iOS, and even Blackberry and WebOS!

If you have a regular cellphone, you're probably out of luck; you would know if you were enrolled in a backup service offered by your carrier. If you aren't, you might check with a local repair center if you've been to one recently, to see if they have your contacts backed up from any service work they performed.

Short of this, you could use an old/spare phone that you used to use to recover most of your contacts, since they would still be on...

Onio4yas

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2011
Contact your phone service provider and ask them to keep your number.

If you want to restore contact numbers, you may need a recovery tool that might be able to restore your contact lists.

However i did not tried, i guess there are some tools.

tragicallyhip

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011
It depends entirely on the type of phone you have. If you have an Android phone, your contacts should be backed up on your Gmail account, so you might try logging in on a computer terminal and seeing if they are there. There are similar backup utilities for iOS, and even Blackberry and WebOS!

If you have a regular cellphone, you're probably out of luck; you would know if you were enrolled in a backup service offered by your carrier. If you aren't, you might check with a local repair center if you've been to one recently, to see if they have your contacts backed up from any service work they performed.

Short of this, you could use an old/spare phone that you used to use to recover most of your contacts, since they would still be on that old phone. And lastly, log into your account on the cell provider's website, and you should at least be able to see a detailed call history - and recover the actual phone numbers from there!

Solution

roycooper

Honorable
Feb 19, 2013
Having lost over 5 years of contacts when my 'faithful' phone with sim card was stolen, I wanted a way to allow anyone with my mobile number (which is now defunct) to make contact with me. I have a new number now, but no one know it.
So I built a website, www.renewcontact.com where anyone can register a phone number and have it linked to an active email address.
It means that my old contacts can go there, search for my number and send me an email with their contact details. I can then decide whether I want to respond or not, after all, there will be some contacts whom I don't want to renew contact with.
Anyone in the same situation as I was, may like to go there and register their phone number.
Since I launched it, quite a few have made use of the free service.
Some are also registering really old phone numbers, that have long been dead, hoping I guess that friends from the past will find them and renew contact.
I hope this site is of use to many.

Status
Not open for further replies.