How to get Lenovo T420 to turn back on without the battery?

Woof Woof

Prominent
Jul 20, 2017
I used webworkings instructions on how to turn on my T420 ThinkPad to see if it needs a new battery. It does need a new battery, but I then unplugged my laptop and followed the instructions again because it was back to being dead. This time I can't get my laptop to turn on without the battery even after following the instructions again. Is it possible to get my laptop to function again without the battery until my replacement battery arrives?

Solution
Some laptops do not like to function without the battery in. I can't say that is happening here, but it sounds likely. You may have no choice but to replace the battery.

However, if it actually worked for a while (more than a few moments) with it plugged in before, and no battery in, then the power cord may be done for and need replacing as well.
Some laptops do not like to function without the battery in. I can't say that is happening here, but it sounds likely. You may have no choice but to replace the battery.

However, if it actually worked for a while (more than a few moments) with it plugged in before, and no battery in, then the power cord may be done for and need replacing as well.

Solution