Question how to get local tv on the firestick

corvairbob

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2016
i just got a firestick and i would like to know if it is possible to get local ota channels on this device? or will i have to figure out how to download the local channel apps and put them on the first screen? i'm thinking that is how i will have to do it but then i need to figure that out. maybe someone has a link to how to get local channels on the firestick.

we have a local company that seems to have this figured out for 20$ a month, but my guess is i can do the same thing and save that 20$ that local company has what they told me is all the local channels on there site and channels like you might see on a cable box. [link removed by Mods] this is what they show. so can i do the same thing? thanks

CParsons

Estimable
Staff member
Dec 4, 2019
i just got a firestick and i would like to know if it is possible to get local ota channels on this device? or will i have to figure out how to download the local channel apps and put them on the first screen? i'm thinking that is how i will have to do it but then i need to figure that out. maybe someone has a link to how to get local channels on the firestick.

we have a local company that seems to have this figured out for 20$ a month, but my guess is i can do the same thing and save that 20$ that local company has what they told me is all the local channels on there site and channels like you might see on a cable box. [link removed by Mods] this is what they show. so can i do the same thing? thanks
I find it hard to believe that provider is legit. It's almost certainly a pirate IPTV offering. That said, your only option with a Firestick is to make use of the whatever apps you can find that offer local channels, there's is no OTA tuner built into it.

corvairbob

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2016
i do not know. some people on a local forum claim to be using this site and say they have good programming. it seems they have to put some app on the firestick and that is what is used. they do have a trial if you went to that site for 10$ the first month. i'm thinking they put you on there friends and family or set you up on amazon prime. but it will be interesting to see how it works. under the local channels i believe i can get my local channels app and have the same thing they are offering for free.

however that site could be what your saying i do not know. we have fiber getting installed in our area now and when i have a chance to get it and it is cheaper than xfinity i may give this site a try.

i'm kind of curious anyway and may do a trial for a month to see how it works after i get fiber installed. thanks.

CParsons

Estimable
Staff member
Dec 4, 2019
i do not know. some people on a local forum claim to be using this site and say they have good programming. it seems they have to put some app on the firestick and that is what is used. they do have a trial if you went to that site for 10$ the first month. i'm thinking they put you on there friends and family or set you up on amazon prime. but it will be interesting to see how it works. under the local channels i believe i can get my local channels app and have the same thing they are offering for free.

however that site could be what your saying i do not know. we have fiber getting installed in our area now and when i have a chance to get it and it is cheaper than xfinity i may give this site a try.

i'm kind of curious anyway and may do a trial for a month to see how it works after i get fiber installed. thanks.
If you do so, please take measures to protect your personal information. Use a temporary email, use PayPal, etc. Just a personal suggestion.

corvairbob

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2016
ok anther question on the firestick. the fire stick i have is the lite unit. can i get any firestick remote and have it work on this fire stick lite unit? the one i have does not have a volume control and i see them on ebay so if any fire stick remote will work i will get one that has a volume on it and see if that happens to work.

also i have antennas on the roof does anyone happen to know how i can incorporate my antenna into the fire stick so i can get local stations from my antennas? or is that not really possible? at the worst case i can just switch between hdmi1 and ota inputs but that can be a bit cumbersome. thanks

corvairbob

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2016
ok it seems there are a few tv boxes that let you plug in your antenna and then they merge that into their system so you can get local antenna channels on them. table and hdhomerun systems.

so can anyone tell me if they happen to have a tv type guide that stays on them? if i understand tablo you need to pay for that on the tablo. it could be the same on the hdhomerun unit also. it would make channel searching a bit easier. thanks.