How to get the rear speakers to work properly on my 5.1 surround sound system

tsilveira7

Honorable
Dec 6, 2013
Hello Guys,

So, I have a LG Home Cinema Surround Sound 5.1 system, and can't get the rear speakers to work properly. I'll try to explain... like, if i'm watching a movie and there is a plane coming from behind, I hear the sound from the airplane in all speakers, it's like I'm listening to the movie in stereo. (make no mistake, the rear speakers work but the sound from the airplane also come out from the front speakers also).
I've also confirmed if the cables are connected correctly and also tried every audio definition on the device.
I've searched and searched to find something that explains what I'm doing wrong, but i couldn't find anything.

So, if someone have an ideia of what the problem may be, please help.

PS: sorry about my English, I'm Portuguese.

Thanks

MauveCloud

Distinguished
May 7, 2010
Have you made sure the movie(s) you were watching were recorded with surround sound? If a DVD was recorded as stereo audio, you'll have a hard time getting surround sound from it.

tsilveira7

Honorable
Dec 6, 2013

Yes, I mean i use the USB port, but i guess that shouldn't be the problem, also I always make sure that the movie has 5.1 audio, and I've also tried several different files like .mp4, .mkv, .avi.

I have no clew what the is the problem :(

MauveCloud

Distinguished
May 7, 2010
.mkv and .avi files? Could you provide a link to the specs or the purchase page you used so I can see the exact speaker set you have? That seems like you're playing the files from a computer, but the LG surround systems I could find included a DVD or blu-ray player that output to the speakers, and those might not actually support surround sound input from other sources like a computer.

tsilveira7

Honorable
Dec 6, 2013

I did not bought it online i bought it in a local store but here's a link that i found: http://www.computeruniverse.net/en/products/90417698/lg-hx806pe-schwarz-3d.asp

No, I'm not triyng to play the movies on the computer i use a USB Flashdrive and put it in the USB port in the dvd home cinema system... I also use my PS4 connected to the Home Cinema Speakers but the problem is exactly the same...

tsilveira7

Honorable
Dec 6, 2013

tsilveira7

Honorable
Dec 6, 2013

tsilveira7

Honorable
Dec 6, 2013
Hey man, so, I tried something different yesterday... I tried several movies with different types of audio files. So the movies with DTS 5.1 and AC3 5.1 do work correctly, AAC files not so much...
So I guess the next thing to understand is the sound from the PS4, I'll try diferent audio defs...

prawin_cbe

Estimable
Feb 16, 2014
Even I have a LG home theatre, (Bh 7430p), There is no sound coming from the rear speakers. I am playing from a blue ray. I checked the speakers, its working fine, the connection is also good. Looks like its a common LG problem. I have not run the setup though but am worried thinking it could be a flaw in my system which I bought it few days ago.

prawin_cbe

Estimable
Feb 16, 2014
Hey I had same problem and figured a solution. In the remote you can see a sound effect, make sure it is turned to Natural Plus or Bass boost because these are the only 5.1 modes, if 3d movie or 3d music is enabled, then you can get that 5.1 effect. Let us know whether it works. Bw it will be good if you had mentioned your 5.1 system model, mine is LG BH7430P.

Yostna Mallick

Estimable
Dec 7, 2014
hmmm... same here.. its sad... but the good thing is am having the but its a costly one... so what we need when we want to listen 5.1 channel surrounding sound are... 1- 5.1 channel speaker 2- 5.1 channel supported tv 3. a link from tv to speaker 4- 5.1 channel encoded audio or video file(movies)...
i think you have lg cinema tv with no 5.1 channel analog output.. you must be connecting the speakers with a aux cable.. there is the problem.. lg cinema tv doesn't give any analog audio output source.. it used to has a 3.5mm audio output jack.. and a toslink or digital audio output.. and Phillips speaker used to have analog audio input behind it.. and for your kind info. 3.5mm output is a stereo channel output (2 ch or 2.1 ch).. so if you connect your speaker(input) to tv(output) through a 2.1 or 2 ch connection(3.5 to 2 rca analog) how can get the 5.1 channel surrounding sound... so to get 5.1 channel surrounding sound you need to pull out 5.1 ch audio from tv and put that to a 5.1 ch speaker.. to do that use toslink or digital audio output of tv to digital audio input of speakers.. but now the problem is Phillips doesn't have a digital audio input it only has rca or analog input.. how to solve that.. now we need a toslink or digital audio to rca or analog converter...
here it is.. website may not be working...
https://sewelldirect.com/sewell-51-dtsdolby-digital-to-analog-converter-35mm-output.asp

not this (its a toslink to 2.1 converter) www.amazon.in/gp/aw/d/B007S6U7I4/ref=aw_cr_item_title

you would also need a toslink or a digital audio cable to to you tv to this device
www.amazon.in/BlueRigger-Digital-Optical-Audio-Toslink/dp/B005LJQNQU

so with this device we can convert 5.1 channel digital audio from lg tv to 5.1 channel rca or analog (via device) to Philips speaker..

now you must understand the fact why Phillips 5.1 channel speaker are cheaper than others.. because it doesn't have a digital audio input which means they saved cost by not putting digital audio sound card in speaker..

Yostna Mallick

Estimable
Dec 7, 2014
sorry.. its a cumbersome answer.. let me put it in this way.. to get 5.1 ch audio.. connect your tv through this cable
www.amazon.in/BlueRigger-Digital-Optical-Audio-Toslink/...
so output from tv should be digital audio (just side of the 3.5 mm cable) and it should be the input for this device
https://sewelldirect.com/sewell-51-dtsdolby-digital-to-...
and use 6 rca (colourful cables usually red green yellow) cable to connect that device and the speaker... why that device.. it converts 5.1 digital audio to 5.1 rca (analog) audio.. as Philips speaker doesn't have a digital audio input we are using this device as a digital audio input and analog audio output..

Mike_158

Estimable
Jan 26, 2016

I am getting the same issue!
Have installed the sony BDV-E3100 home theatre, if i play any sound from FM, DVD, MP3 e.t.c i can not hear sound from suround and center speaker! Only front speakers and sub woofer is working!
Does anybody can help?
Thanks.