How To? - HTPC to multiple screens in separate rooms?

Joshua Fletcher

Estimable
May 22, 2014
I have a PC with a tuner and I am using windows media center to access and record TV. The PC is in a gaming room/office.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
Motherboard: Asus Z87-PRO ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill TridentX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card
Case: Silverstone FT02B-USB3.0 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair 760W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Optical Drive: LG WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro (OEM) (64-bit)
Tuner: Ceton InfiniTV 4 PCIe - Quad-tuner Card
Addon Keyboard: Logitech K400 Wireless Touch Keyboard
Remote: Logitech Harmony Smart Control

I have an Samsung 50" TV that is a few years old and is not wireless in the living room.

I have another 42" TV in a bedroom that is also not wireless. Both TV's have multiple HDMI inputs, the big one might have a D-Sub. I'm not sure. I would really need the picture to be 1080@ 60Htz at leas to be worth it for us. I also want to be able to use the same remote / keyboard the bedroom / living room. The rooms are only about 10-15 feet apart. and they are about 20-30 feet from the computer itself which is in a room on the other side of a kitchen.

This setup is for my dad. I want him to be able to EASILY access media center, netflix, hulu, amazon instant video, HBO Go, Crackle, and YouTube. (This would all be pretty simple if it can just access Google Chrome and WMC through the TV).

I need to know if media center extenders would work or if Intel Wireless Display (or any derivation thereof) would work.

If not, what WOULD work? I am able to buy extra equipment. Pros/Cons would be nice if anyone can run it down for me

Not sure how streaming media over a wireless network would work. I'm guessing not very well. What you want to do is get some variation of a wired network to each device; either a standard ethernet connection or perhaps a Media over Coaxial (MoCA) network which uses the existing coaxial cable already running through the home.

Beyond that, it's just a matter of having media extenders (like the Ceton Echo) and assigning tuners from the InfiniTV4 card to them,

-Wolf sends

I believe you're right. This was one of the problems I've always had with Windows Media Center. Only Netflix (using Silverlight), created a fully integrated plug in. Not sure if there is anything available other that a full-blown PC.

-Wolf sends