how to i switch from intel(R)HD Graphics4000 to AMD Radeon HD 8570M

Status
Not open for further replies.

Selvaraj50347

Estimable
Apr 15, 2015
I am having lenovo G500 laptop with intel(R)HD Graphics 4000 and i want to force games to use AMD Radeon HD 8570M which came with the laptop by buying it. So pls help me! And its in windows 8

Solution
1) Look in Windows Control Panel. You should see Catalyst Control Centre.

2) Open that.

3) Click “Power” and select “Switchable Graphics.”

4) Choose an application from the list or browse and select an application and assign the appropriate GPU.

It does that automatically there is no need to switch things. The AMD kicks in when you do 3D graphics, like games, CAD, Second Life, etc. When you are using Word / looking at your icons, it defers down to the onboard (2D). There is no way to use AMD all the time.

tracher123

Estimable
May 30, 2015

Hi is there something else i can do if this does not work?
I try this solution and uninstalling my graphic cards, i also uninstalled the catalyst but no luck..
Sorry i posted this as a solution im new around here

tracher123

Estimable
May 30, 2015

Oh ok i installed both of them i was confused because I have skyrim and in graphics adapter it says hd graphics 4000 but o well thank you for your answer

ewolfman

Estimable
Oct 18, 2015

Hi,

Is there a way to permanently switch to the AMD card, especially the Windows Explorer desktop resolution? I need much desktop space and the high resolution is something that I require.

Thanks.

When you need 'much desktop space" just Right click the desktop background image, select the Display Settings, and set it to the size you want. It doesn't "limit" because the Intel is being used (When in WORD, Internet Explorer, etc.) over the AMD (used only when playing GAMES). NO there is no 'permanent switch', on a LAPTOP (that is what this discussion is about), it will use the 2D to save power (portability is why you have a laptop over a desktop) and then kick into AMD when needing the 'horsepower' of say a GAME. That is all the AMD is for, when your playing HIGH DEMAND games or such, then you need the extra HORSEPOWER to make those work.

Remember Laptops are not MADE for gaming, they were never designed for it, the AMD is a ADD ON to a laptop to give it more capability, but it is still a laptop.

ewolfman

Estimable
Oct 18, 2015

I wish I could. The built-in Intel card seems to be limited to 1366x768 at max where as the AMD card supports full HD.

Yes, I do not want the laptop for gaming. That is exactly my point. I want the Windows Explorer and desktop to be 1920x1080.

+ I would first check with the maker for any updates, for example BIOS that may address this, as well as drivers.
+ Second I check with Intel 's website next and run the Driver Updates application to help ensure you have the latest from Intel drivers.
+ Lastly, you might want to check with the box the laptop came in / instruction manuals that were included (the manuals can also be downloaded from the manufacturer's website) and see if it specifically STATES about the video display.

If the maker states in the manual / box that it normally " limited to 1366x768" except in 'GAME MODE' (i.e. "AMD card supports full HD...1920x1080 ") then the problem is you did not take the time to 'read' what it was your buying, and the fault is totally yours. This is especially true as you "do not want the laptop for gaming" which is what THAT laptop was built FOR. If you just wanted a HD capable laptop then you would sell off THAT one (Ebay, etc.) and get another that does support HD, which even the $199 HP laptop we purchased for our school here is capable of (reading the manual / specifications sheet on it).

IF NOT stated so in the manual / box / specifications; then you have a case (after the above steps) to call the included 1800Help number in the manual and see if they can 'fix' the issue for you (your Intel either corrected to support full HD or shows you how to properly 'deactivate' the Intel so your only using the AMD, if it is possible on THAT specific model - not the normal). If the laptop is advertised as HD capable, and there is no * (asterisk) pointing to it being limited in 2D 'normal' mode, then you have a solid case that they need to support you to fix the issue.

BTW The OP posted this was about the Lenovo G500, which Lenovo points to is a "Entry-level" laptop. That means it is made as cheap low end as possible that you can afford on the low-end pay scale, BUT will not have the capabilities of the 'normal' Lenovo laptop. NOTE on their website http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/lenovo/g-series/g500/#tab-features it expressly says
"The 15.6" LED backlit HD display (1366 x 768) " ; so as I mentioned it is LIMITED to that display and won't go over it. HD includes 720p display (1366x768), HD does NOT mean 1080p (1920x1080).

As noted the issue is your fault for not making a purchase that met your needs, and thus noting Lenovo can 'correct' or change on your behalf. Your solution, to meet YOUR needs is to either 'deal' with the way it is, or buy a new laptop that does have all the features and capabilities you want, even if it isn't the PRICE you want to pay, that is how much it costs to make a portable computer have the capabilities and features you desire.

ewolfman

Estimable
Oct 18, 2015

Dear Tom,

Thanks for telling me off. I think you have stepped out of the advise I was seeking, and you are also blaming me of facts you have absolutely no idea of.

My question was technical and simple. If you have no idea or think it cannot be done just say so. Please keep your ranting to yourself.

Sinan_1

Commendable
Apr 17, 2016

i dont see that Catalyst Control Centre.

As noted in my first reply, then you need to download the AMD driver set that includes CCC from AMD.Com under Support and Drivers section.

Arnaw_

Commendable
Jun 28, 2016
>i dont see that Catalyst Control Centre.

Go to Radeon Settings > Advanced Settings

>My question was technical and simple. If you have no idea or think it cannot be done just say so. Please keep your ranting to yourself.

Ignore him.
I'm pretty sure your computer has an HDMI output. Connect your monitor using it and set to the res you want. The HDMI is through your gcard.

Martijn_1

Commendable
Jul 11, 2016

maybe uninstall the intel drivers?

Status
Not open for further replies.