How to install free antivirus on new build

Claycrusher

Estimable
May 29, 2015
I'm ready to build my desktop, but I'm not sure how to get the antivirus on it. Wouldn't going online to get the antivirus put my computer at risk (seeing as I won't have antivirus at that point)? Also, Bitdefender free or Avast (or other)? I'm running Windows 7 Pro, by the way. Thanks!

Solution
I agree with the comment about getting the AV program in advance, and just slapping it onto a USB. That said, just getting onto the net doesn't expose you to viruses. Plus: on the new install, Windows Defender should be running by default, so you will have some protection. The first thing you'll be doing, is installing updates...a rather tedious process that takes HOURS. After that, tho, if you don't have your AV of choice on a stick, then just go to whichever one you've chosen, download it, and finally, let it run a full system scan. It may actually not take all that long, as you don't have that much stuff on there at that point. :)

Avast has been getting poorer reviews; Avira has been getting better ones recently. I've been...

Ivan96

Estimable
Feb 18, 2015
If you open only antivirus page it wont hurt and i recommend bitdefender (only because avast slowed down my pc a lot, and some testing had proved that bitdefender gives better protection)

USAFRet

Illustrious
For a good preload of free/open source applications, go to ninite.com. Select what you want, and download a small exe file.
On the new PC, just run that exe. It will go to all the relevant sites, download what you've selected, and install it.

Claycrusher

Estimable
May 29, 2015
Wow, fast responses! Thanks guys! So if I just download Bitdefender onto my laptop and put the downloaded file onto a usb I can install from there? The ninite site doesn't have Bitdefender.

USAFRet

Illustrious

Yes, you can install from that exe on the USB stick.

gangrel

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
I agree with the comment about getting the AV program in advance, and just slapping it onto a USB. That said, just getting onto the net doesn't expose you to viruses. Plus: on the new install, Windows Defender should be running by default, so you will have some protection. The first thing you'll be doing, is installing updates...a rather tedious process that takes HOURS. After that, tho, if you don't have your AV of choice on a stick, then just go to whichever one you've chosen, download it, and finally, let it run a full system scan. It may actually not take all that long, as you don't have that much stuff on there at that point. :)

Avast has been getting poorer reviews; Avira has been getting better ones recently. I've been using BitDefender for a few years; it got a bit loopy for a while, but it's done well for me. (This is a paid version, tho.)

Solution