Solved! How to lock the resolution setting in 4k Firestick after changing to 720p.

Apr 16, 2020
4k Firestick is connected to 720p Onkyo. Firestick works if I change its resolution to 720p. But it resets itself to Auto and thus unable to communicate with Onkyo. Anyone know who I can lock the stick after setting it to 720p???....thanks

Solution
Get a normal non-4k firestick, the projector you have looks to be a 1080 one, I'm betting if you get a standard firestick you won't need to mess with the resolution.
Apr 16, 2020
How does it reset itself to AUTO?
Do you unplug it or unplug power of the TV?
Thanks for looking into this.
1- To get it to work I connect it directly to projector (Epson 8350). It will display the Home page. The resolution on the stick will be Auto.
2- I will set it to 720p., unplug, take it across room and plug to Onkyo. Home acreen will appear and, here is the confusing part, if I check the resolution it will show Auto. Means it reset itself to Auto but never mind it works at this point.
3- but if I turn off projector (Onkyo not turned off with stick plugged in), and turn on later, I get either No Signal or Not supported message.
4- if, in Step-2, I set the resolution to 720p when it shows, Auto, also works fine. But if I turn off projector like in Step-3, turn on later, I get No Signal or Not supported message

I have tried these fixes: resetting projector, Onkyo and Firestick; new firestick, new power adapter and cables. Firestick works on my TV.

What could possibly be wrong. mind boggling. Thanks for your help.

Apr 16, 2020
Is the firmware of all devices up to date?

Might be a HDCP thing

Try different HDMI cables
Thank you Helpstar,
-I am looking into firmware update. New at this so have to google to find out how to update Onkyo.
-have disabled HDCP
-have tested with a different HDMI cable (both cables are new anyway).

I still dont have an answer on how to lock the resolution setting on the 4k firestick.
Appreciate if anyone can share his/her expertise in this .
Thanks, Dorai

I don´t think you can lock the resolution. As soon as the TV stick looses connection to the device or is unpowered, it will toggle to auto.

Did you try unplugging the stick from the onkyo, power on the projector and plugging in the fire tv stick again, without changing the resolution?

Which Onkyo model is it?

Did you try a different HDMI port?

The projector only support 1.3a HDMI standard, this might be the problem

Maybe get an HDMI splitter (with HDMI 2.0 support), connect the splitter to the Onkyo, the Epson and the fire TV stick
This way you should be able to use 1080p and surround sound

Apr 16, 2020
I don´t think you can lock the resolution. As soon as the TV stick looses connection to the device or is unpowered, it will toggle to auto.

Did you try unplugging the stick from the onkyo, power on the projector and plugging in the fire tv stick again, without changing the resolution?

Which Onkyo model is it?

Did you try a different HDMI port?

The projector only support 1.3a HDMI standard, this might be the problem

Maybe get an HDMI splitter (with HDMI 2.0 support), connect the splitter to the Onkyo, the Epson and the fire TV stick
This way you should be able to use 1080p and surround sound

Thx Helpstar,
  • Onkyo is TX-SR804
  • yes tried a different HDMI port (have 2 input ports, both work for cable TV)
  • yes, unplugged the stick, turned on projector, plugged stick back, no luck
  • not sure about the 1.3a HDMI standard; 1.3 is capable of handling 1080p I thought.
  • not sure about the splitter. you mean connect the stick to splitter input, connect onkyo and epson to splitter output??

Thank you, Helpstar.
-

Last edited by a moderator:
  • not sure about the 1.3a HDMI standard; 1.3 is capable of handling 1080p I thought.

HDMI can be tricky when it comes to connecting "old" and new hardware. HDCP handshake is most of the time the culprit. Can work, but sometimes with issues like yours.

• not sure about the splitter. you mean connect the stick to splitter input, connect onkyo and epson to splitter output??

Yes