How to make a graph of the difference between cells - Microsoft Excel

TryteHD

Estimable
Jan 5, 2015
Hello, I'm benchmarking using fraps the frame timing during a 2 minute run around a map in BF1. It's progressively given me the ms build up from 0ms all the way up to 119986.554ms. I wanted to make a line graph showing the difference in frametime over time, so say between frame 1 and frame 2 is had a ms of 30 difference, and then that fluctuated between 25 and 35, how could I show that on a graph?

Solution
You need to create a new column in Excel (assuming the times are arranged down in a single column. e.g.

Column A (millisec)
Row 1: 0
Row 2: 30
Row 3: 55
etc.

You create column B. In cell B2 you type a difference formula:

= a2-a1

Then you click B2. In the lower right of the selection highlight will be a tiny box. Click and hold that down, then drag the mouse down to paste the formula in B2 all the way to the end of your data. Excel's copy is smart enough to make the columns and rows in the formula relative. So the formula pasted into B3 will be = a3-a2, B4 will have =a4-a3, etc. (If you want a static column or row, just put a $ in front of the letter or number. e.g. =$a2-a1, or =a$2-a1, or =$a$2-a1.)

Then you can use the...
You need to create a new column in Excel (assuming the times are arranged down in a single column. e.g.

Column A (millisec)
Row 1: 0
Row 2: 30
Row 3: 55
etc.

You create column B. In cell B2 you type a difference formula:

= a2-a1

Then you click B2. In the lower right of the selection highlight will be a tiny box. Click and hold that down, then drag the mouse down to paste the formula in B2 all the way to the end of your data. Excel's copy is smart enough to make the columns and rows in the formula relative. So the formula pasted into B3 will be = a3-a2, B4 will have =a4-a3, etc. (If you want a static column or row, just put a $ in front of the letter or number. e.g. =$a2-a1, or =a$2-a1, or =$a$2-a1.)

Then you can use the Excel charting tool to create a line graph of Column B.

Edit: fixed typo in formula!

Solution