How to make a producer's TB mic?

mario

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2003
20
0
18,560
0
Archived from groups: rec.audio.tech (More info?)

We want a microphone with an on/off button for the producer who sits at
the desk behind the engineer. Just a simple push-to-talk.

What we have, though, is pretty noisy and pops the cans. It's just a
button that opens/closes pin2.

My electronics is a little rusty, but I'm handy with a soldering iron.

Any suggestions where I can find the "right" way to do this? (Or better
yet, just tell me?)

Much thanks,
--
MarioC
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.audio.tech (More info?)

"Mario" <mcrystal@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
news:Nc%mc.56390$Xj6.948029@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
> We want a microphone with an on/off button for the producer who sits at
> the desk behind the engineer. Just a simple push-to-talk.
>
> What we have, though, is pretty noisy and pops the cans. It's just a
> button that opens/closes pin2.
>
> My electronics is a little rusty, but I'm handy with a soldering iron.
>
> Any suggestions where I can find the "right" way to do this? (Or better
> yet, just tell me?)

Try resoldering so that instead of opening pin 2, it shorts pin 2 to pin 1.
Assuming of course you aren't talking about a phantom powered mic or
something.

Kendall

>
> Much thanks,
> --
> MarioC
>
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.audio.tech (More info?)

> "Mario" wrote ...
> > We want a microphone with an on/off button for the producer who sits at
> > the desk behind the engineer. Just a simple push-to-talk.
> >
> > What we have, though, is pretty noisy and pops the cans. It's just a
> > button that opens/closes pin2.
> >
> > My electronics is a little rusty, but I'm handy with a soldering iron.
> >
> > Any suggestions where I can find the "right" way to do this? (Or better
> > yet, just tell me?)


"Kendall" wrote ...
> Try resoldering so that instead of opening pin 2, it shorts pin 2 to pin
1.
> Assuming of course you aren't talking about a phantom powered mic or
> something.

If it is a real floating mic/cable, etc. shorting pin 2 to pin 1 (ground)
will not only NOT likely turn the audio on or off, but may introduce
ground noise.

Traditional way of muting conventional balanced mics is to short the
signal by connecting pins 2 and 3 together. As the patent drug biz
would say "safe and effective".
 

mario

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2003
20
0
18,560
0
Archived from groups: rec.audio.tech (More info?)

Thanks, that didn't help, though.

Could the quality of the switch be a factor?

Kendall wrote:
> "Mario" <mcrystal@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> news:Nc%mc.56390$Xj6.948029@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
>
>>We want a microphone with an on/off button for the producer who sits at
>>the desk behind the engineer. Just a simple push-to-talk.
>>
>>What we have, though, is pretty noisy and pops the cans. It's just a
>>button that opens/closes pin2.
>>
>>My electronics is a little rusty, but I'm handy with a soldering iron.
>>
>>Any suggestions where I can find the "right" way to do this? (Or better
>>yet, just tell me?)
>
>
> Try resoldering so that instead of opening pin 2, it shorts pin 2 to pin 1.
> Assuming of course you aren't talking about a phantom powered mic or
> something.
>
> Kendall
>
>
>>Much thanks,
>>--
>>MarioC
>>
>
>
>

--
MarioC

mcrystal@worldnet.att.net

------------------------------
One must be polite to dragons,
for one is crunchy,
and tastes good with ketchup.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.audio.tech (More info?)

"Mario" <mcrystal@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
news:Nc%mc.56390$Xj6.948029@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
> We want a microphone with an on/off button for the producer who sits at
> the desk behind the engineer. Just a simple push-to-talk.
> What we have, though, is pretty noisy and pops the cans. It's just a
> button that opens/closes pin2.
> My electronics is a little rusty, but I'm handy with a soldering iron.
> Any suggestions where I can find the "right" way to do this? (Or better
> yet, just tell me?)

Use a normally closed switch, so it shorts pin 2 to pin 3. Push the button,
the switch opens and the signal goes through. With most dynamic mics and
mic preamps this will not pop.
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P Audio 5
T Audio 2
S Audio 1
PetarV Audio 2
A Audio 2
R Audio 1
M Audio 2
H Audio 2
O Audio 1
C Audio 3
N Audio 6
W Audio 1
aca94sss Audio 1
A Audio 4
J Audio 4
Z Audio 3
J Audio 2
K Audio 2
M Audio 8
C Audio 1

ASK THE COMMUNITY