How to Make Google Forget You

Status
Not open for further replies.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
Maybe people shouldn't put "unflattering" things on the internet? Problem resolved.
By unflattering they also mean things like court cases against you that could drive customers away or hurt their image. I believe one case was a school principal who was arrested for urinating in public and wanted that removed from the search engine. Basically people do stupid things and get punished but they don't want anyone on the net knowing about it and thinking they have done anything wrong.

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
Maybe people shouldn't put "unflattering" things on the internet? Problem resolved.
By unflattering they also mean things like court cases against you that could drive customers away or hurt their image. I believe one case was a school principal who was arrested for urinating in public and wanted that removed from the search engine. Basically people do stupid things and get punished but they don't want anyone on the net knowing about it and thinking they have done anything wrong.

Well maybe if your a public figure, leader, or creating the next generation you shouldn't be doing stupid things to begin with. If I had kids I wouldn't want them at a school that has this principle, who knows what else he does.

I think the whole "privacy" thing has gone to far. If you did something stupid you can't just pretend it didn't happen. Own up to it, learn from it, move on. If you fill out his form it just goes to show that you really haven't learned anything and should be trusted anyway. I would hope that Google keeps track of these and lists them in a database somewhere, let's see who wants there past erased.

10tacle

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2008
Actually I know someone who had their PC data mined from a website through cookies and his personal PC information posted on that political website blog for the world to see (like a moron he used his real name in the Windows Account info). In any event, that eventually got out to Google search engines and there was nothing he could do about it.

The people making comments against this ruling remind me of those who hate lawyers... right up until they need one.

jimmysmitty

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007
The way Google is reacting to this is why I am not sure I like them much anymore. It seems that they think any data you have that they can see is theirs to do with as they please.

My Galaxy S4 updated to 4.4 a bit ago and ever since they want me to sign into Google in the gallery app where all my pictures are stored. I am sure Google would scan through it and use what they want to target advertise to me or sell it to make money.

It is funny though because people love Chrome and Android, as if they are the best things since sliced bread.

Last I checked, sliced bred didn't try to profit off of you.

mouse24

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2010
The way Google is reacting to this is why I am not sure I like them much anymore. It seems that they think any data you have that they can see is theirs to do with as they please.

My Galaxy S4 updated to 4.4 a bit ago and ever since they want me to sign into Google in the gallery app where all my pictures are stored. I am sure Google would scan through it and use what they want to target advertise to me or sell it to make money.

It is funny though because people love Chrome and Android, as if they are the best things since sliced bread.

Last I checked, sliced bred didn't try to profit off of you.

Last I checked, sliced bread wasn't free.

Shodoman

Honorable
Sep 19, 2012
Well maybe if your a public figure, leader, or creating the next generation you shouldn't be doing stupid things to begin with. If I had kids I wouldn't want them at a school that has this principle, who knows what else he does.

I think the whole "privacy" thing has gone to far. If you did something stupid you can't just pretend it didn't happen. Own up to it, learn from it, move on. If you fill out his form it just goes to show that you really haven't learned anything and should be trusted anyway. I would hope that Google keeps track of these and lists them in a database somewhere, let's see who wants there past erased.

You would judge the school based on weather the principle took a leak in public or not? How would you like not to get the job you want for the rest of your life because you were rolling a ah heck and someone took a photo of you...made it a meme.
Personally i don't find pissing in public such a "capital offence", it's uncivilized but also natural. And why not blame it on the society because it doesn't standardize public restrooms? We have set social standards that are not backed up by infrastructure - it's development done bad.
As you put it, everyone does stupid tings at some point and stigmata are a way for lazy people to have their judgement of another ones character done for them.
Or better yet, as Gandhi put it: “Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.”, tough i think i've reinterpreted the message to match my argument a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.