How to play video and tv from my desktop to my tv

RTY12

Estimable
May 10, 2014
I have a desktop computer. I want to somehow connect a cable from the computer to play videos on a rear projector tv. I do not have a router. Can anyone recommend what to do in plain language as best as possible that includes what kind of cable(s) I need? I would like to watch videos and tv from the computer but also have the ability to be online at the same time.

jollypirate

Estimable
Jul 18, 2014
Well you can just connect the tv to your computer with a hdmi cable. You can get the steam link. You can connect the steam link box to the tw and then to the internet via wifi or ethernet cable and if the computer and the link are on the same network you can stream from your pc to your tv

RTY12

Estimable
May 10, 2014

Thank you for your reply. Ok. So I use the HDMI cable to connect the computer to the tv. Are there any setting I need to set? Then when video or stream is transferred to the tv how can I be online on the computer, doing emails say, at the same time? I guess I need all the details to make this work. Also, the tv is about 20 feet from the computer. Where do I get a long enough HDMI cable?

jollypirate

Estimable
Jul 18, 2014
Do you want the tw to be like a second screen or do you want to just have it copy whats on your dektop?
You can probably get a 20ft hdmi cable in a hardware store.

RTY12

Estimable
May 10, 2014

I would like to stream the video (like a news channel) to the tv and at the same time be able to surf the internet on the computer. Is this possible?

jollypirate

Estimable
Jul 18, 2014
Yes, you can set the tw as a second monitor. The best way to do that isnto just connect the tv with a hdmi cable ( you will controll whats on the tv via computer not the remote though)

RTY12

Estimable
May 10, 2014
But when I go to the computer to say go on the internet won't the tv also display the internet? Do I have to divide the feeds or something?