How to prevent overheating

Serge2702

Honorable
Oct 6, 2013
I had an HP laptop with a core i7 1.6GHz processor and an ATI Radeon graphic card. After 3 years over stress (gaming,renders on solidworks, virtual machines, etc) this thing overheats a lot, even though I have cleaned it and the fan works at max speed, and that's very noisy. So now I have a new laptop, ASUS, with core i5 2.6 GHz and an NVIDIA geforce graphic card. Obviously this thing doesn't overheat (yet) and the fan doesn't make any noise (yet)...

What can I do so this new laptop won't develop the same problems as the other? Or overheating is something impossible to prevent?

Solution
Overheating on a laptop tends to be hard to prevent due to the limited space. Best you can do is probably keep it clean and dust-free, and don't use it on soft surfaces, where vents can possibly be blocked.

It may also be a good idea to try replacing the thermal compound used on the CPU and GPU heatsink(s). That may help there, however, I'd recommend waiting until the warranty expires on your new laptop before trying it. Maybe you can give it a shot on your old HP?

Casey

06yfz450ridr

Honorable
Nov 28, 2012
nothing really besides add a fan cooler under the base of your laptop.

either way over time they all will start doing this either from the thermal paste they used drying up or other factors. laptops really need the thermal compound replaced every few years minimum since everything is jammed in there keeping everything really hot

cklaubur

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2006
Overheating on a laptop tends to be hard to prevent due to the limited space. Best you can do is probably keep it clean and dust-free, and don't use it on soft surfaces, where vents can possibly be blocked.

It may also be a good idea to try replacing the thermal compound used on the CPU and GPU heatsink(s). That may help there, however, I'd recommend waiting until the warranty expires on your new laptop before trying it. Maybe you can give it a shot on your old HP?

Casey

Solution

Serge2702

Honorable
Oct 6, 2013

Ok, thanks for your answers. I'll buy a fan cooler then, I'll replace the thermal paste in the old laptop, and hope for the best.