Solved! How to re-enable laptop speakers.

Oct 4, 2018
Hi, I disabled my laptop speakers (Dell Inspiron, Windows 10) in an attempt to fix another issue. Now I can't figure out how to re-enable them. I have tried right clicking inside the playback window and clicking to show disabled devices, but it does not show up as an option. I still only see the display audio, not laptop speakers.

This stemmed from me poking around to try to fix a different issue. I couldn't get the laptop to recognize my headphones. If you have any insight on that one, that will be my next question :)

Thanks in advance for your help.

Solution
I'm sure you've looked in Control Panel>Sound but since MS hide the Control Panel these days, I'll suggest it anyway.

Press your Windows key and R together then type Control nto the Run box. Hit the enter key and it invokes the beast. Create a Desktop shortcut if you intend to go there often.
I'm sure you've looked in Control Panel>Sound but since MS hide the Control Panel these days, I'll suggest it anyway.

Press your Windows key and R together then type Control nto the Run box. Hit the enter key and it invokes the beast. Create a Desktop shortcut if you intend to go there often.

Solution
Oct 4, 2018

Hi Saga, thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately I had made it to the sound dialog via the control panel. I'm still unable to enable my speakers from there...or I don't know how to anyway.

Oct 4, 2018
I figured it out. I went to device manager > Sound, video and game controllers > Realtek(R) Audio. I right clicked on Realtek Audio and selected enable device. My laptop speakers work again, and so do my headphones.