Question How to recognise a new ssd in the mgmt system

May 7, 2021
I have put a Samsung 980 m.2 ssd into the spare slot on an acer nitro 5 an515-43. It does not show at all in the disk mgmt system but it is in the BIOS.

Type "Cmd" into the search box on left end of command bar and click on "Run as Administrator"
Type "Diskpart" at the command prompt. Spend a little time with Help to gain a basic understanding of the commands. Typing a wrong command can lead to complete loss of system partitions!
Enter "list disk" to determine the disk number of the disk of interest. Probably will be disk 1.
Enter "select disk N" where N is the number of the disk of interest.
Enter "detail disk" to help confirm the proper disk is selected.

If things work this far, let me know and more commands to follow. Diskpart is a dangerous utility so be careful!

May 7, 2021
hi, only 1 disk showing which is the original 238 gb m.2 installed disk. no other disks showing. I have noted that the BIOS shows the NVMe doesn't support HDD password. Not sure if this is relevant.

May 7, 2021
yes , acer and the computer shop have said you can install a NVMe PCie card. I have been on to them and they are not sure what is wrong as the card should work. I could try a different card like a Crucial 2280 but I don't hold out any hope and without the 2.5 slot being available for the want of a SATA cable. I am running out of options. I guess I could replace the main 256 SSD drive with a 1TB one but this is a poor final option.