How to replace Windows 10 to Windows 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kavana

Honorable
Oct 7, 2012
Bought a new laptop with windows 10. I want to remove 10 and install 7 on it. Everything I find online assumes it was an upgrade and to downgrade, but that is not my case. Windows 10 is the only OS installed. How do I get rid of 10 and install 7? I have an old copy of 7. Can I just purchase a new key code for 7?

Thanks for any input.

Solution
I'll add for a few more details to help you with your laptop setup:
1. Touchpad adjustments are located in Devices\Mouse & touchpad. Click on the "Additional mouse options". On my Dell laptop, this brings up a Dell Touchpad control. I believe HP has something similar to adjust the sensitivity.
2. Shutdown after 5 minutes: Settings are in System\Power & sleep. Adjust per your needs.
3. Cortana: It can be turned off. Please read this link: https://www.howtogeek.com/265027/how-to-disable-cortana-in-windows-10/. In the middle of the page is a "Download Our One-Click Registry Hack". Use this to disable Cortana.

Hopefully, with some tweaks, you'll get used to your new laptop and Windows 10. Please post again if you run into other issues...

drtweak

Honorable
Sep 17, 2012
If it is a 7th Gen Intel forget about it.

If it is a 6th gen or lower you might be able to it is just a matter of finding all the drivers AND also seeing if they have a tool to inject the USB 3.0 drivers or some BIOS have the ability to turn all 3.0 slots into 2.0 slot (Most OEM don't have this option though). Otherwise you could install it VIA a DVD versus a thumb drive but then you can use the mouse/keyboard to load drivers :/

Also some OEM, like Dell in the case of the PC i mainly use, you can downgrade if 6th gen or lower to windows 7 without needed a product key so long as it is with a OEM windows 7 disk from dell. otherwise you will have to buy a product key if you don't have one already.

There are a lot of reason why you would want to downgrade so I won't ask why as in the IT world i like it I have a LOT of clients who buy brand new machines but still can only run windows 7 because their software won't work on 10 still.

Kavana

Honorable
Oct 7, 2012

Sorry, just learning how to use this board.
My laptop is:

HP 15634 Laptop AMD A6Series 4GB Memory 500GB Hard Drive Black
Model: 15-af131dx
SKU: 4481400

Kavana

Honorable
Oct 7, 2012

Honestly, can't stand 10. Many issues, but here's one that I can't figure out.
When writing in email or word, if I pause for more than 3 sec, machine will either move, highlight or delete what was just written. WTF! Can't find anyway to stop the cursor from going to whatever it might be near.
Shuts down on its own after 5 min. Can't get back in without password. I have disabled the cloud, cortana, and other annoyances only to find them back on. Changed updates to manual. That's back on automatic and disregards the schedule to take total control of machine for hours. Knocks me off of whatever I was doing. I don't want cortana!
It feels like I don't have control and someone else does.

Kavana

Honorable
Oct 7, 2012

Thanks for your input. Please see my other responses on this thread to get a fuller story.

DSzymborski

Distinguished
Some of these problems don't sound like they have anything to do with Windows 10. The cursor issue, for example, sounds more like a sensitive touchpad you're getting used to. Other issues, like the password nag screen that Windows 10 likes to pop up, can be fixed in a couple of minutes with the right settings changes.

https://www.tekrevue.com/tip/skip-windows-10-login-screen/

But regardless, hp is only offering Windows 10 drivers for your parts. So using Windows 7 is a non-starter. Given that extended support ends in 2 1/2 years, I don't see the point.

drtweak

Honorable
Sep 17, 2012

Agreed. A lot of it just sounds like other options that need to be tweaked still.

As for Cortan and the cloud stuff yeaaa its kind of hard to get ride of those. I have kind of just learned to live with someone of it.

Scottray

Respectable
Jul 14, 2016
I'll add for a few more details to help you with your laptop setup:
1. Touchpad adjustments are located in Devices\Mouse & touchpad. Click on the "Additional mouse options". On my Dell laptop, this brings up a Dell Touchpad control. I believe HP has something similar to adjust the sensitivity.
2. Shutdown after 5 minutes: Settings are in System\Power & sleep. Adjust per your needs.
3. Cortana: It can be turned off. Please read this link: https://www.howtogeek.com/265027/how-to-disable-cortana-in-windows-10/. In the middle of the page is a "Download Our One-Click Registry Hack". Use this to disable Cortana.

Hopefully, with some tweaks, you'll get used to your new laptop and Windows 10. Please post again if you run into other issues. Provide the details of the issue and we'll help you!

Solution

Kavana

Honorable
Oct 7, 2012

Thank you. Everyone on this thread has helped. Appreciated.

Kavana

Honorable
Oct 7, 2012

Thanks. all input has helped me figure things out.

Kavana

Honorable
Oct 7, 2012

Thanks, I've finally got enough info to help me rectify my issues.

Apr 19, 2018
Apr 27, 2018
Sorry, but I don't have a solution --- I'm asking the same question.

Surely some clever person can tell us how to get rid of Windows 10, simply, and install Windows 7 Pro from a disc, simply?

Apparently we should have done some soul-searching about why we don't like Windows 10. In my case it's quite simple (that word again) --- I bought a new and expensive laptop hoping that Windows 10 would be to my liking. But it isn't, because it's too complicated for me. I just prefer Windows 7 Pro, to which I'm accustomed and which serves me very well. But nowadays it seems to be a sin if you like a system that's (shudder!) getting old. (I bought my first computer in 1984 when I was aged 45 : work that one out. But no : don't use a computer; do it by mental arithmetic. 1984 minus 45 equals X; then 2018 minus X equals Y.)

Now : would some computer expert be kind enough, in words of just a few syllables, to explain to Kavana and me just how to:

* remove Windows 10 from the new computer; and

* install Windows 7 on the computer from a disc? (Although I imagine what is done is to put the disc in the slot and wait for instructions.)

And there's no problem about data being lost. I've got absolutely everything on another computer, including all the books I've written, and can transfer all of that easily.

But no "dude", I pray. That would take me right back to the last time I heard the word, on "My Big Fat Greek Wedding."

In advance, I thank you, unknown expert, for your kind and most welcome attention.

Best wishes,
Brian

USAFRet

Illustrious

Assuming your hardware still supports Windows 7 (not all newer hardware does, and a new laptop is unlikely):

Purchase a Win 7 license and install media, from a valid retailer
Boot up from that which you have purchased
Go through the install, and DELETE all existing partitions
Continue the install
Done.

Until early 2020, when all security updates for Win 7 goes away, forever.
(and being 45 in 1984 means you're not that much older than I am)

Scottray

Respectable
Jul 14, 2016
It depends on your new and expensive laptop. What make and model is it? The issue is that Windows 7 drivers (the underlying software that interfaces between Windows 7 and the hardware) may not work correctly. Worst case, the new laptop may not run at all. In other cases, you may buy a new printer, camera, scanner, etc and it won't connect to the laptop. In between these extremes are other compatibility issues.

Also, note that Windows 7 is not going to be supported by Microsoft past January 2020. This means no patches or updates and leaves your laptop vulnerable to hacks and security issues. I'm just suggesting that you may want to think through your Windows 7 strategy. It may cause you a lot more problems in the future, than learning a little bit about Windows 10 now.

Status
Not open for further replies.