How to restore a Toshiba back to factory settings

Status
Not open for further replies.

reyne

Honorable
Dec 7, 2012
L 500 laptop needs bringing back to factory settings due to infection which can't be removed. unable to access google & gmail or other web pages so using my acer netbook for current access. many thanks for help. reyne

Solution
Warning: All data on the hard drive will be erased. Back up any important data before proceeding. Make sure the computer is connected to a power supply and do not switch it off or restart during the process. •1) Hold down the power button for ten seconds to switch off your machine •Please note: Holding down the power button on the machine forces it to switch off. Any unsaved data will be lost.

•2) Press and hold the zero key and at the same time, tap the power button once to switch on your notebook
•3) When the machine starts beeping, release the zero key
•4) When prompted by the warning screen, select Yes to continue with the system recovery
•5) Select Recovery of Factory Default Software and click Next
•6) Select Recover to...

abbadon_34

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008
See if you have a factory reset disc that came. Also check if there is a separate partition with system restore, usually need to press something before windows. Of course if the virus is really bad neither of these will suffice, and you need wipe and reformat your computer.

danny2000

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2010
First restart your Toshiba laptop. Press either "F1," "0," or "F8" to be taken to your computer's hard drive utility screen. The key command differs depending on the model Toshiba computer that you own.

Select "Restore Original Factory Image" from the list of options in System Recovery. Verify that you want to continue the process by clicking "Yes," then click "Next".

danny2000

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2010
Keep in mind, that the factory restore will wipe your hard drive and anything that you had created (pictures, documents, favorites, music) will be gone when it is completed and not recoverable.

Consult the manual for your laptop it should tell you how to do it.

For example, for the Lenovo Y470 laptop there is key next to the "power on" key which you need to press when the laptop is off. It will go into recovery mode where you can do a clean install of Windows 7 from the hidden partition of the hard drive.

danny2000

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2010
Warning: All data on the hard drive will be erased. Back up any important data before proceeding. Make sure the computer is connected to a power supply and do not switch it off or restart during the process. •1) Hold down the power button for ten seconds to switch off your machine •Please note: Holding down the power button on the machine forces it to switch off. Any unsaved data will be lost.

•2) Press and hold the zero key and at the same time, tap the power button once to switch on your notebook
•3) When the machine starts beeping, release the zero key
•4) When prompted by the warning screen, select Yes to continue with the system recovery
•5) Select Recovery of Factory Default Software and click Next
•6) Select Recover to out-of-box state and Click Next again
•7) Click Next to Start the recovery

Solution

danny2000

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2010
That is correct, but the user would indeed have to move everything off of the C: drive to somewhere else, and the D: drive usually would not include enough free space to use as a temp storage place. it is basically a moot point as the user would only be concerned about the C: drive and not what was on the D: drive.

reyne

Honorable
Dec 7, 2012
to danny2000, many thanks for your response to my question. i'm unable to do much of saving due to state of laptop. read all of replies but my query now is do i go with online help, walkthrough the reset or shoud i ring toshiba australia, as that's where i live & have them to talk me through this process. as you may have guessed i'm a computer pygmy when it comes to the technical side of computers. reyne

jackieo

Honorable
Dec 29, 2012

Will these steps eliminate internet history, anything performed on the web?

jackieo

Honorable
Dec 29, 2012

thank you. i have reset the laptop. i am returning it to store. do i complete "license terms" or leave it alone? if leave it alone do i just power laptop down?

reyne

Honorable
Dec 7, 2012
danny2000, those last entries weren't from me, someone else must be in the same boat & picked up on your reply to me. i'm still trying to copy, print off any & all info. i would like to be able to save. will let yo know how i go, fingers, eyes crossed for me. reyne

reyne

Honorable
Dec 7, 2012
danny2000,
just a quick one you may like to think on. infected laptop started to turn of by itself & would take anything up to twenty minutes to be able to be turned back on properly. this started to happen about three weeks before the major infection set in leading up to this point where i have to reset to factory settings. do you think this may be connected in any way? thanks, reyne.

Status
Not open for further replies.