Question how to split an existing rar file from the command line

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 22, 2019
I need to take an existing rar and split it into 50Mb pieces. Creating the orginal with -v50M isn't an option.
After the file is created it's given a secure random gen name. If it's created with -v then all the chunks have different names since the random generator is called after the rar process is done and will cycle through all *.rar files and give them a random name. So I'll have 10 pieces of one file all with different names.

That's why I need to split the original file. I've already simply re-rared the original file with the -v50M switch but when you decompress you have the original rar in a subfolder that still needs to be decompressed.

If I could just split the original rar it would be more elegant and especially useful for restoring the data content. I think it's possible as I remember reading somewhere about doing it with the GUI, but this is part of a script so I need CLI.

Thanks In Advance TIA

Oct 22, 2019
how is that different from raring the original file. When you unrar you end up with the files in the rar. Now I'm at the original starting point with the script renaming all the parts a different name.

I believe the solution will be to embed the (pwgen 26 1) code into the commnad line rather than figuring out how to split the file.

Status
Not open for further replies.