How To: Stock An Emergency PC Fix-It Bag

Status
Not open for further replies.

dilbert

Distinguished
May 11, 2004
I have a Sabrent adapter for HDD to USB connectivity. It's not as elegant as the Thermaltake docking, but it supports both SATA and PATA drives (3.5, 2.5 and 1.8-inch). Even internal optical drives can be used with it. This adapter has saved the day many times.

Onus

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
I always carry flashlights, one of which is either a headlamp, gooseneck LED, or some other kind of hands-free light.
To the external cables, add internal ones as well, including SATA, PATA, and floppy (if needed). If you will (or might) be replacing a hard drive, disk-cloning software can be useful if it's just a size upgrade, and you'll be especially glad of the internal cable you brought unless you know the machine has eSATA for that dock.

slimbones

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2006
Cool article. jtt283 has a good point about the flashlights. An extra mouse (the portable, USB kind) and a tiny keyboard are sometimes helpful when it's only a shorted or malfunctioning device.
And maybe a P.H.D PCI2, if you are really serious.

teknomedic

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2007
I'm going to sound like an old dog here, but I tend to carry a few "legacy" adapters like PS/2 to USB and Serial to USB... I even carry a USB floppy disk drive to help gain access to some of my relatives/friends older PCs. The biggest problem I run into is that I always seem to run into a PC that doesn't support a USB to PS/2 adapter or is so old it can't even read USB pre-OS startup. That's when I have to head back home and open up the "legacy box" and return is a "REAL" internal floppy drive or Serial mouse. I try to do these PCs at home with all my supplies, but sometimes you just need to do a housecall.

schizz69

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
I'd add a parts retriever or a pair of needle nose pliers, caz with that collection of screws, you're bound to drop one or two in a hard to reach place.

irh_1974

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
Magnetic headed screwdrivers are the bomb, I have a fantastic little set with a single screwdriver and 24 pop-in heads in philips, flat and star-shaped around the same size as the above 7 piece set. I found it by accident in a gas-station for £5. Bargain.

duanes1967

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
The coolest freeware program I have found is Macrium Reflect. It creates a backup image that can be reloaded onto bare metal. It is free for home use and reasonably priced for business. I set up an external drive so that the program starts when you insert the drive. It is easy enough for grandma to use reliably.

coleipoo

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
This is a great article, but I can't help but feel it's a giant advertisement for certain brands (carry 4-5 Cruzer flash drives).

Great article on the hardware side, but I'd like to see more practical advice, perhaps a guide that tells people steps to take in case of an emergency, a sort of guide to really help out the new folks.

processthis

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
[citation][nom]cadder[/nom]Add LOTS of adapters of all types, and spare cables.Carrying a spare monitor is probably useful too.[/citation]
How will you fit a monitor in a bag? What size would it be? o_O

dconnors

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009
Good call on the internal cables, guys. As for the flash drives, we recommended three different brands, but honestly, any flash drive will do. We also included pliers (they're in the repair kit, I believe).

I don't know why a flashlight didn't occur to me. :facepalm:

-Devin

aaron686

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010
A motherboard speaker can come in handy as well as a Multimeter.

Oh, and don't forget the trusty receipt book. :p

"Oh thank you so much dear!"

*rip*

"Cash Only."

teehee

bobiseverywhere

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2008
Am i blind or did i not see mention of a power supply tester in there. Such an easy check and so many times source of an issue with an aging PC

jsc

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2004
As long as you are working in a non-professional environment PC environment, you have things covered pretty well. Did anyone mention a USB floppy drive?

I qualified that because in the professional IT environment, RS232 is still very common. And that eliminates netbooks.

For software, I also recommend including a BartPE disk - either CD or bootable USB.

Status
Not open for further replies.