How to stop Verizon from enabling their apps?

Koerperichm

Commendable
Sep 12, 2016
I have switched from Verizon, to Straight Talk. But I keep seeing in the top left corner of my screen, of my Samsung Galaxy Note 3, "Verizon Wireless ". I have disabled, forced stopped, cleared cashes to no end, but they re-enable their data eating apps. Aren't they stealing data? They keep showing up on my top left corner of my screen as the service provider. Straight Talk told me not to worry with it. But it is bugging me. They are using my data! Is there anything I can do? I have learned to Hate Verizon !!

Solution

You said " but they re-enable their data eating apps." "They are using my data! " which sounded like you checked on this already. If did not actually check the data usage, you can check in Settings > Data Usage and it will list all the things that have been using data.

The reason you are seeing Verizon Wireless on the device is that it was originally a Verizon branded tablet. And it's still a Verizon branded tablet, just on a different network.
No app should auto run. You should be able to go into "Settings" then "Apps". Go to "All Apps" and locate the ones you want to turn off. Tap them and choose uninstall. If it won't allow you to uninstall them you will at least be able to us the "Force Stop" option so they won't run. Granted they may well get turned back on if you restart the phone, but you can just "Force Stop" them again.

Now if this doesn't work, they may actually not be legit apps on the phone and be something malicious instead. You can try and run antivirus apps to check it.

Koerperichm

Commendable
Sep 12, 2016

Koerperichm

Commendable
Sep 12, 2016
So aggravated with this. Forced stop, and then go back to check app. Started up again. Without restarting my phone. I plan to go to a Verizon store, and maybe they will help me.

How do you know that this "Verizon Wireless" message is something that is using data? What did you check on the phone that showed you the data usage and from what? Was this Samsung Galaxy on Verizon before you switched? If it was, unless you wipe the device and flash a new ROM, not from Verizon, the Verizon programs will run on it. There are also methods to remove the extra programs with rooting the device without a full ROM flash.

"They" are not re-enabling anything, there is no Verizon tech that watches your tablet to see if you tried to turn something off and then turns it back on, these are just default programs on the device, moving carriers does not change that. It's like taking a Ford and putting in a Chevy engine in it, your emblem and body will still be all Ford even though the Chevy engine is what moves the car now. If you want to wipe all signs of Verizon from the tablet, you need to do some work.

Koerperichm

Commendable
Sep 12, 2016

You said " but they re-enable their data eating apps." "They are using my data! " which sounded like you checked on this already. If did not actually check the data usage, you can check in Settings > Data Usage and it will list all the things that have been using data.

The reason you are seeing Verizon Wireless on the device is that it was originally a Verizon branded tablet. And it's still a Verizon branded tablet, just on a different network.

Solution