Question How to switch primary monitor if the primary monitor is broken?

Aug 10, 2021
I have had a asus monitor for a while and it has been working great but randomly stopped working and is only black. I have another monitor that works fine but I can’t start windows to change my primary monitor because the primary monitor is broken. How do I switch primary monitor without accessing the primary monitor?

If you cannot start windows, then you have a larger issue than a broken display. If Windows starts, but you just do not see the primary screen, right click on your secondary display and select Desktop Settings. Press ALT+SPACE. Press the "m" key. You should now be able to move your Display Settings window over to your secondary display using your mouse or keyboard arrow keys. Once you're able to do that, changing the primary display shouldn't be an issue.

Question though. Is this on a laptop (as this is the Laptop Tech Support sub-forum) or a desktop?

-Wolf sends

Aug 10, 2021
If you cannot start windows, then you have a larger issue than a broken display. If Windows starts, but you just do not see the primary screen, right click on your secondary display and select Desktop Settings. Press ALT+SPACE. Press the "m" key. You should now be able to move your Display Settings window over to your secondary display using your mouse or keyboard arrow keys. Once you're able to do that, changing the primary display shouldn't be an issue.

Question though. Is this on a laptop (as this is the Laptop Tech Support sub-forum) or a desktop?

-Wolf sends
Hey, I just unplugged the primary monitor and it now works on the second monitor but it takes like 10 minutes to start up windows on that monitor, it’s just blank for like 10 min, and yeah it’s desktop I couldn’t find a forum for the desktop

Aug 10, 2021
desktop forum is on tomshardware.com

anyway. after 10 min, does the it see the monitor as primary?
how do you know is monitor issue and not your pc?

I think it’s an monitor issue because when I try to connect the “broken” monitor it says it has no signal but it has signal with the other monitor, and yes it sees it primary after 10 min