How to tell if a laptop kills batteries

orangewood

Prominent
Mar 28, 2017
I have a 2012 hp ProBook 4530s running Windows 10 and recently it has developed a problem where it needs to be connected to power at all times. It cannot run or boot on just battery anymore. Windows says the battery is "plugged in, not charging" and the percentage has been slowly decreasing since it started. My laptop came with software called hp Support Assistant which has a battery check function and the result was a primary battery failure. I'm convinced the battery is dead.

My issue is that my sister had a similar laptop (hp pavillion about 1 year older than mine) and when she replaced the battery it worked for a few months before it died to. After some digging on the internet I found other people with the same laptop and they said that something can go wrong with the charging circuit on the motherboard and fry batteries. I'm worried that if I replace my battery I will have the same problem she had.

Is there a way to determine if there is something wrong with the laptop without replacing the battery?

Edit: I really appreciate all the quick responses but I guess I was a little unclear about what I want. I know that batteries fail over time and I know that mine probably just reached the end of its life cycle, but I want to know that that's what happened. Is there a way to determine why a battery failed so I can be sure that the problem is not more serious than just your typical battery failure?

Solution
Four years is about right for the lifespan of a laptop battery. Most likely she just bought a cheap third party battery. They rarely last very long before failing. There are good third party batteries. Just as good as OEM in fact. The only source I know to find them is Amazon. As you can look at customer reviews to weed out the POS batteries.

When I can get them. I prefer the Anker brand. Otherwise I look for another with a good record. Not just with that model of battery but an all around good record on various battery models.

DTK appears to be well received.
https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Replacement-Probook-5200mah-Notebook/dp/B00XONOCTA/

Four years is about right for the lifespan of a laptop battery. Most likely she just bought a cheap third party battery. They rarely last very long before failing. There are good third party batteries. Just as good as OEM in fact. The only source I know to find them is Amazon. As you can look at customer reviews to weed out the POS batteries.

When I can get them. I prefer the Anker brand. Otherwise I look for another with a good record. Not just with that model of battery but an all around good record on various battery models.

DTK appears to be well received.
https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Replacement-Probook-5200mah-Notebook/dp/B00XONOCTA/

Solution

Snipergod87

Distinguished
May 26, 2009
Be careful of the cheap brands on amazon and ebay they often use bad/old batteries that wont last through many charges or uses
You can get good (but in some cases expensive) batteries from here, I have used them a few times.
https://www.batteriesplus.com/

thx1138v2

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2011
Batteries can't be recharged forever. They will only take so many charges. There are, however, a few things you can do to extend their life.

Number one is never, or at least as little as possible, store the computer for any time with a partially discharged battery. Charge it to full capacity as soon as possible after using it on battery power.

Use the battery as little as possible. If you've got a wall outlet, use it. Which makes the above much easier.

When you're not going to use it for a while, shut it down rather than using sleep or hibernate mode. Especially so when no wall outlet is available. Sleep or hibernate is OK when it's plugged into a wall outlet nut it will charge faster if it is turned all the way off.

Snipergod87

Distinguished
May 26, 2009

You also do not want to never use the battery, if the laptop is kept plugged in at all times and the battery is at 100% it will die rather quickly, for long term storage you want it at around 50%