How to test laptop motherboard power

aerkadri

Honorable
Jul 29, 2012
Hi guys,
I have a gateway laptop MA7 -mt6840 type. The laptop doesn't turn on. Nothing happens when I press the power button with or without a battery! not a single beep, noise or any light activity. dead as dead can be. My neighbor thought it was the power socket in the back of the computer . I replaced it by disassembling the whole laptop, desoldered the bad socket, replaced it with new one and soldered it well. I plugged the laptop to the power source with battery attached to it, a pink light (battery) comes on and becomes blue after 2 minutes, meaning that the battery is charging. I tried to turn it on with power cord only:nothing happened. I left the laptop charging all night and tried to boot it up the next day. Same result, dead: not a beep or noise. If I unplug the laptop from the power cord, the blue light turn off. If I put it back on, a pink light comes on then turns blue. If I remove the battery from laptop, no light comes on: with or without the power cord.
Is my motherboard fried (dead)?
I 'd also like to know if the pink/blue light means that the motherboard gets the power from the wall through the socket I replaced. and for some reason it is not booting up.
I don't have a second battery to test, but I do have two known good power adapter.
Thank you for any input you have.
Ben.

Hello aerkadri;

The DC power jack is one of the more likely culprits and you've already replaced that.
Testing with, and without the battery, was also a good troubleshooting option.

Do you have, or can you borrow, a multi-meter?

About the only other thing you can do at the moment is to disassemble the notebook again and do a close, careful visual inspection of the motherboard and it's connections.

A bright light and a magnifying glass come in handy there.
Obvious things like a fluid spill and burn marks tend to stand out.

You're not seeing any flashing in the battery lights, are you? Just steady red then steady blue (or green).