How to test subwoofers?

audaciousgoat

Estimable
Oct 27, 2014
I got an old Sony STR K840P 5.1 600w amp that came with all the original speakers, and I'm looking at upgrading the weak 100w subwoofer. I figured, instead of spending +$100 on a sub on amazon, I would check out all the subs they have at goodwill all the time. Is there a way to test them without my amp? I've heard that you can plug a battery up to it or something but I'm not sure how to do that either. The only port my amp has for a sub is "subwoofer wire", no speaker wire to the sub.

Solution
You can't hook a battery up to a powered subwoofer, you need some sort of audio source. If its unpowered you could hook a battery to its positive and negative and tell if its totally blown, that said you still wouldn't know for sure without listening to it if its on the way out.

Rogue Leader

Distinguished
You can't hook a battery up to a powered subwoofer, you need some sort of audio source. If its unpowered you could hook a battery to its positive and negative and tell if its totally blown, that said you still wouldn't know for sure without listening to it if its on the way out.

Solution