How to transfer games over to a different laptop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dustin_35

Prominent
Feb 21, 2017
I need help on transfering games over to my new laptop so i dont have to re-download them. I dont have an external hard drive or a usb drive so is there a way i can transfer the games through a different way without re downloading the games?

Solution
You really can't do that. The games will have to be reinstalled.

There is something called Windows Registry. One of the things it allows Windows to know what programs are install on the PC / laptop. That is done during the installation process; as the program or game is being installed it makes changes to the Windows Registry. It allows the game to access various files within Windows in order to run such as DLLs (dynamic linked libraries) that are related DirectX.

For example, if you have Fallout 4 installed on your current laptop and you simply copy the directory to your new laptop, the game will absolutely not run.
You really can't do that. The games will have to be reinstalled.

There is something called Windows Registry. One of the things it allows Windows to know what programs are install on the PC / laptop. That is done during the installation process; as the program or game is being installed it makes changes to the Windows Registry. It allows the game to access various files within Windows in order to run such as DLLs (dynamic linked libraries) that are related DirectX.

For example, if you have Fallout 4 installed on your current laptop and you simply copy the directory to your new laptop, the game will absolutely not run.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.