How to transfer pictures from a phone that wont turn on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Generally speaking, all Android phones uses a removable Micro SD card where pictures are saved to. The SD card is typically in the same location where the battery is and you must remove the battery 1st in order to remove the SD card. Consult your manual for more clarification if necessary.

With the micro SD card in hand you can transfer the pictures to a computer/laptop with the following two methods:

1. If your PC has a SD card reader, then you need to use a micro SD to SD card adapter. Simply insert the micro SD card into the adapter, then insert the adapter card into the computer's SD slot.

Here's a link if you need to purchase a SD adapter card:

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-microSD-Memory-Card-Adapter/dp/B0047WZOOO/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1361459039&sr=1-1&keywords=micro+sd+adapter

2. With the assistance of a friend's Android phone, simply turn off his/her phone. Then replace his/her micro SD card with yours. Turn on the Android phone and connect it to the computer. Choose the option to use the Android phone as a "disk drive" or "storage device" so that you can access the SD card as an external hard drive.

The pictures should be in the "dcim" directory. There may be two folders called "100MEDIA" and "Camera". In any case, all your pictures should be in the "dcim" directory. Simply select all and copy them to your computer.

Jonny Wolfe

Honorable
Jul 30, 2013
Is there anyway to transfer the files that are actually stored on the internal memory? My Droid did use a SD card but I never put one in, so all of my files are on the internal memory. The screen is broken to the point that nothing works and the power button will not work. When I plug it into the computer, all I see is the batter charging screen pops up then goes to sleep, I cannot do anything with the phone.

cocknbull

Honorable
Feb 3, 2014

Jonny Wolfe - I'm having the same problem :( Did you ever figure out how to do it?

liaylaray

Estimable
Feb 12, 2014

I am having this issue now too!! Please let me know if you find a solution and I will do the same :)

mregalad

Estimable
Oct 24, 2014
Hubby had a Samsung S4 which he dropped and cracked the screen which caused screen to not work. When I initially plugged the phone into the computer, nothing happened except charging. So I unplugged phone, took battery out/back in, plugged phone back in to computer, then turned on. It started installing Verizon software, finished, still not able to read files on phone. Waited for a minute or two longer, then it installed software again, and the dialog box with choices of what to do with files on phone popped up. I chose read files, and they all popped up.

Hope this helps.

Marcia

blmavrik

Estimable
Jan 18, 2015
I had no SD card, I got lucky and managed to hook up to my usb port on the computer, download some software and get everything off of my phone, it will turn on, but screen is completely busted, no way to use. Hope this helps

MusicEO

Estimable
May 13, 2015

What software did you download? Thank you!

David Snider

Estimable
Jun 19, 2015

Get a "micro" Male USB plug to female 2.0 USB adapter. Plug up to your phone with the male end, and then plug a USB mouse to the female end. WALA, you have access to your phone without using the touch screen. Unlock the phone and once you do, take your phone and plug it into your CPU. Now your files are unlocked and you can now transfer. take care

radharamanan

Commendable
Jun 21, 2016
Did anyone find the solution? My LG G4 giving me the same problem. It doesn't get past the welcome LG screen. Not booting at all.
All my happy moments and memories are trapped in there in the form of pictures and videos, Could anyone please help me retrieve them? I didn't back up my data and no SD card used.

Thanks a ton,
Radha

Dana_20

Commendable
Jun 24, 2016

That is so weird. My LGG4 just did the same thing last night. I dont understand it!

Ewout_

Commendable
Jun 25, 2016
Isn´t there a way to get out the storage out of the phone and connect this to your computer? My Nexus 5 is also broken and won't turn on, it doesn't appear in my Device manager at all..

So can't you do the same thing like you would do with a broken laptop/computer, just get the hard disk out connect to another computer?

Rainbowg1ng3rrr

Commendable
Aug 30, 2016

seriously, my LG G4 did the same exact thing. just quit working randomly. wont turn on and wont go past the welcome screen

sprout4020

Commendable
Sep 8, 2016

There has been a problem with lg g4 turning off and not coming back on or just staying on the turn on screen its a common problem you can just take it to your service provider and they should just give you a replacement one, that's what they did for me.

Staceface138

Commendable
Sep 17, 2016

My LGG4 is doing the same, I stupidly have not backed up my phone in a few months.. is there any way to get the pictures off of a phone that will not turn on? Not worried about the phone.. I know I can replace that. Just hoping maybe there are places that can extract data or something?

Adham EL Sharkawy

Commendable
Oct 12, 2016

hey everyone. what if my pictures were saved on my cell phone not on the SD card?
another question:
Is there anyway I can find the history of my Android cell phone my Computer?
any tips on how to do that will appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.