How to transfer programs from SSD to another Harddrive on same system

Status
Not open for further replies.

LarryDosh

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2010
My ssd or c drive is almost full. I have another drive with more room on it . So I want to make space on my SSd. This is the Drive with Windows 10 on it.

Solution
It's usually not as simple to just move a program, reinstalling and choosing a different location would be your best option. Many programs will still take up some space under your users profile which resides under C: (the Windows partition) and those files will still not move, unless you manually move them and hack the registry a bit. Nothing that I recommend doing simply for moving programs.

What and how many programs are we talking about anyway? The space-hoggers are usually games and personal files. The personal files are easy to move around and I'd start with that.

kanewolf

Judicious
It will depend on what is filling it up. You can probably reinstall applications with a custom install to get them onto the other disk. Some game files can be moved without a reinstall.

There is no universal answer to your problem. You will have to find out what is using space and then come back with additional question(s).

XistenZ

Honorable
Jan 19, 2014
It's usually not as simple to just move a program, reinstalling and choosing a different location would be your best option. Many programs will still take up some space under your users profile which resides under C: (the Windows partition) and those files will still not move, unless you manually move them and hack the registry a bit. Nothing that I recommend doing simply for moving programs.

What and how many programs are we talking about anyway? The space-hoggers are usually games and personal files. The personal files are easy to move around and I'd start with that.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.