How To: Trick Out Your Desktop with Rainmeter

Status
Not open for further replies.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
Hey, tom's, how come we are still getting swamped with spam? Here's an idea: mark as spam any message that has more than 2 links in it and any message that has more than twice the symbol $ in it. That should help out for a while until you come up with even better filters.

shoelessinsight

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2009
I downloaded Rainmeter after reading this article and have been experimenting with it for a few hours. Though I am having a hard time getting reliable readings of my system temperatures and my current wireless bandwidth, most of the skins are surprisingly easy to customize.

Thanks for the article! =)

gdroland

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2006
Awesome article. I've got alot of Rainmeter desktops setup over on DeviantArt.com / With all the files you need to create them on your own computer. Check them out and don't hesitate to ask in the comments if you have questions/difficulties.

http://gdroland.deviantart.com/

tgandy

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2010
[citation][nom]ssddx[/nom]Hah! I see you use ObjectDock Plus! as well. Awsome program.This looks interesting; I will have to check it out. Is that circle in the bottom right a working calendar?[/citation]

Yes it is. I've been on the computer at midnight and watched it update the day and date.

toolinthemist

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2010
the advent of widescreen monitors did not bring about more desktop real estate. in fact, they have hampered it. The 4:3 square monitors provide more screen real estate then similarly diagonal dimensioned 16:9 widescreen monitors. the advent of larger screens and higher resolution monitors has led to more screen real estate.

G

One thing this article doesn't cover is how to skin the taskbar as it is in the first picture.

This can be acheived in a few ways.

The first and most simplest is to autohide the taskbar and place it on an unused side. Then just use Rainmeter as an alternate.

Secondly you can attempt to hotkey the taskbar. There are a few programs that allow this... taskbar hide comes to mind (shareware).

The third option, and my personal choice is to hack the Windows shell so you can reskin it. While I don't have a link handy I'm sure you can search deviantART for it (probably the best resource for windows customization).

G

If you're looking for wallpapers, but can't handle certain 4chan posters (or just don't feel like looking through), Yotoon created a great wallpaper site that scrapes the images off /wg/ and people on there tag them under various tag filters. It also has a very simple yet pleasing interface.

http://wallbase.net/

Say you're looking for a Nintendo wallpaper, you can type in Nintendo, and you'll see alot of Nintendo wallpapers.
Or say you're at work and want to view only SFW images, you can set the filter to only show SFW images, and all the images that have been tagged as NSFW or Edgy (questionable ones) won't be shown.

kgbboy

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011
how did you get the aero peek to work with objectdock?? when i mouseover the dock icons...it doesnt show anything :( and is there a way to make the system tray icons high res?! tks in advance!

Status
Not open for further replies.