How to turn off laptop gpu.

mibitsbibits

Prominent
Nov 30, 2017
Is there a way to turn off the GPU in a high end laptop? Im looking for a good laptop but they all have bad battery life, is there a way I could turn off the gpu for a day in order to prevent it from killing the battery?

Solution

All high end laptops are 'dual gpu' anyway- usually the laptop uses the integrated gpu in the cpu (e.g. all Intel chips come with 'Intel HD graphics' which is fine for desktop use). It's only when you fire up a game that the discreet gpu kicks in.

Also in my experience battery life on high end laptops isn't bad at all for light duties- I have an Alienware 17 I use for work, and for light duties it runs for ages. The trick is to switch the windows power mode to 'batter saver' (which reduces screen brightness...

cdrkf

Honorable
Mar 18, 2013

All high end laptops are 'dual gpu' anyway- usually the laptop uses the integrated gpu in the cpu (e.g. all Intel chips come with 'Intel HD graphics' which is fine for desktop use). It's only when you fire up a game that the discreet gpu kicks in.

Also in my experience battery life on high end laptops isn't bad at all for light duties- I have an Alienware 17 I use for work, and for light duties it runs for ages. The trick is to switch the windows power mode to 'batter saver' (which reduces screen brightness and slows down the cpu a bit) and keep the number of things running to a minimum (e.d. don't leave loads of tabs of background software running). The battery life is terrible if running a 3D applications but that doesn't sound like an issue for you.

Solution