Question How to use broken laptop as a second monitor

May 13, 2020
Pc: Lenovo z50-70
Issue: Screen always white, with gray vertical lines, even BIOS.

Thank you for your time.

May 13, 2020
Thanks for the quick answer, but no. I've tried many times to connect the laptop with my monitor (using both VGA and HDMI), but it always says "No signal". I don't know if I'm doing it correctly. Do you think it's a gpu or display problem? As I said I can't even see BIOS.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
At this point, it would be difficult to diagnose whether the issue is the GPU, the display, or the motherboard itself.

Was the laptop dropped or physically damaged, that you are aware of?

Still, to answer your initial question, this laptop can't be used as an external display for another device (if that is what you are seeking to do).

May 13, 2020
Well if it can help, when I click with the touchpad / use arrow keys the screen flashes, and no I don't remember dropping it, etc. It's quite disappointing that I can't use it as a second monitor, what about taking it apart?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Your system actually has 2 GPUs. The integrated Intel adapter (part of the CPU) and a second Nvidia dedicated GPU.

If the Nvidia failed, the Intel unit would still operate.

The internal display failing should not keep the system from being unable to use an external monitor (assuming other devices are working properly).

This leads me to suspecting the motherboard.

This though is interesting, "when I click with the touchpad / use arrow keys the screen flashes". Have you tried connecting an external keyboard/mouse to this laptop? Has anything ever been spilled (water, soda, beer, etc) on it?

May 13, 2020
I mean disassemble the pc and using its components (I've never opend it). No fluid has ever touched it (at least I hope so). The mouse turns on when I plug it in, but it doesn't seem to do anything as the screen is always white/gray.
It's running on windows 8. The flash is probably the first layer that appears when you start the laptop and by clicking with the touchpad it scrolls up.

Last edited: