How to use headphones and TV speakers simultaneously on a Samsung Smart TV

Status
Not open for further replies.

leclospierre

Commendable
Oct 10, 2016
I am of restricted hearing and my wife is not. How can we watch a 2016 model year Samsung Smart UHD TV whilst listening simultaneously on wireless headphones such as Sennheiser or bluetooth (me) and to the TV speakers (my wife)? This is a problem for many older people.

On older TVs I can usually plug into the optical "out" without the TV speakers being automatically muted.

Solution
Samsung and other TV makes have decided they know what you need and restrict the way their TVs output audio.
The only solution I can think of is to split the optical audio output. Connect a soundbar to one output and a headphone transmitter to the other.

Pbbraun

Commendable
Dec 7, 2016
I have the same problem. A splitter for the optical out does not work. When I put the splitter in the optical out i don't get any sound from either of the two outputs. The splitter output lights are illuminated.

What I can do is use Bluetooth headphone, and concurrently power my external speakers via the optical out cable. I want to split the optical out signal so I can have one leg going to my external speakers and the other leg to the transmitter for my wireless Resound hearing aids (the transmitter uses an digital optical in for the sound source).

I would appreciate your help.

Wiz33

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
You can have BT, TV speaker and Optical out working independently on all 2016 Samsung TV . My father is hard of hearing so he use a BT headset while the rest of us use TV speaker or optical to receiver then home theater speakers on our KS9500.

Which Sennheiser are you using? If you're using a RS120, where are you getting your analog signal for the 3.5mm jack?

If you're using a RS165 or above with optical input, your problem is that the TV is probably outputting Dolby Digital 5.1 thru the optical port and the optical in on the Sennheiser cannot handle it. Go into setting, under audio, select expert setting and make sure you're outputting PCM instead of bitstream or Dolby Digital.

Wiz33

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006

A lot of newer TV output optical in Dolby Digital 5.1 by default. Check the setting and see if you can change it to PCM (what your hearing aid's BT transmitter is looking for). If you can't change it to PCM but your BT transmitter can accept a 3.5mm audio jack, you can use one of this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DZXWHJA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You'll see other Digital to Analog converter at a cheaper price but you need one that supports Dolby Digital 5.1 input

TLL

Commendable
Dec 28, 2016

Wiz33

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006

MattMiller

Honorable
Sep 17, 2013
If you are using a Cable/Fios Box as your source, use the Audio Outs on the Cable/Fios Box to send to your Sennheiser via the wire hooked to the Sennheiser Transmitter. As said, it you are using a Home Theater Receiver, just hookup to the Headphone jack on the receiver via the included adapter(stereo phone to stereo rca's)to the Sennhesier wire( thats what I do) . Thats the best solution. PS Whats much better about the Sennheiser's vs BT is I can go downstairs and cook while listening to the news etc and not bother anyone else. Even outside! :) ( and there's no BS trying to use the BT ! Its a hardwire connection! :)) ) Here's what I have and also my brother and a computer client. Inexpensive and GREAT https://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-RS120-Wireless-Headphones-Charging/dp/B0001FTVEK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1484843331&sr=8-1&keywords=sennheiser+rs120

Jvitti10

Prominent
Jun 11, 2017

I also have a senior citizen that is both blind and hard of hearing. I just purchased him some bluetooth headphones and have them paired to a 2016 samsung smart tv but I can't get the sound to come out of the tv speakers at the samerican time. Someone here says it's possible I would like to know how to do it
Thanks

xfoneguy

Prominent
Jun 18, 2017

Turns out that Samsung was apparently listening.......I had the same problem (and question) and I found that on the newer models with built-in Bluetooth capability (I have the UN65MU6500), there is an option (it's under "General" Settings, then "Accessibility") called "Multi-Audio Output". This option will be "grayed out" until you pair and connect a bluetooth audio device (such as headphones, etc). At that time this option will become available and can be selected.

I just discovered this tonite while researching the problem and it works great! It even boosts the volume for the headphones somewhat over that of the speakers.

Hope this helps someone.

Ken

Reactions: JulesCorn100

xfoneguy

Prominent
Jun 18, 2017

there is an option under "General" Settings, then "Accessibility" called "Multi-Audio Output". This option will be "grayed out" until you add and pair a Bluetooth audio device (headphones, etc). At that time this option will become available and can be selected which will allow you to listen to both the TV's speakers AND a pair of Bluetooth headphones. This solved a real problem for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.