Hp 8460p can't set proper display resolution.

brondsted

Estimable
May 4, 2015
Hello experts,

I bought a used hhp 8460p i5 and installed win 7 pro 64 on it (it came with french so I used my own disk).

Device manager says every driver is installed, but in screen resolution I only have the option to set it to either 800x600 or 1024x768. According to the specs it should be 1366 x 768.

This means my display is stretched.

It says it is a generic pnp monitor on standard cga graphics adapter, and under advanced settings for adapter - list all modes, 1024x768 is the highest resolution I can choose.

I'm guessing I need the driver for the 14.0-inch diagonal LED-backlit HD anti-glare (1366 x 768 resolution) that it has - but if that is the case, I cannot find it (mind you, I am not tech savy)

Please, can anyone help me to fix this issue.

Thank you!

PS I've gone to the hp support center and located all the drivers, but I can't seem to find any that is for the display...

brondsted

Estimable
May 4, 2015
Phillip - thank you man!

Can you tell me however, which of the 3 drivers I should choose?

There is:

Intel Video Driver and Control Panel (American, International)

AMD Video Driver and Control Panel (International)

AMD Video Driver and Control Panel (International)

or should I just go for all of them?

(Yeah, the two last ones really have the same name...?

Thanks again!

The two AMD drivers are just different versions so you only need the latest one (dated 20 Dec 2013 - - 286.9 MB).

If your laptop has two graphics chips you'll need to install the Intel driver too. If you don't know if your laptop has two graphics chips, don't worry, try installing the Intel driver anyway, it won't do any harm. It won't install if your laptop doesn't have an Intel graphics chip, it will just bring up an error message along the lines of "No supported hardware found" or something similar.

brondsted

Estimable
May 4, 2015
Thank you! I tried installing the AMD latest version first, but it said failure?!

Then I installed the Intel driver - and that worked.

I then tried to install the AMD package (20 Dec 2013 - - 286.9 MB) again, but again I get install package failure. I chose express install both times.

Should I try to download the older AMD version and see if that works?

Or just not bother, now that the screen resolution is correct?