Question HP 8570p ram slot 1 not working

Sep 14, 2024
Hello,

I have a "new" old HP8570p (sealed, never opened before yesterday).

When I put a ram memory in slot 1 (the lower one, just under the keyboard), the laptop doesn't start and Caps Lock and Num Lock blink (same reaction as there's no ram module at all).

Slot 2 (the upper one) is working fine and the laptot starts.

I've tried 6 differents modules in each slot, none worked in slot 1, all worked right in slot 2.

So, I assume it's not a ram module issue (I have 2 and 4gb module, 2 different speed and 3 brands: kingston, samsung and Crucial).

I've used an electonic vacuum to remove "dust", I've cleaned the ram slot with isopropyl alcohol (99.9%), same issue.

Bios is updated to last existing version (F.74 Rev.A - 2019).

As the laptop is "new", the ram modules are working, the OS is not an issue (the laptopt won't even start) what can be the issue ?

Maybe I've to go back to an earlier BIOS Version (I've directly updated the bios before trying to put a second ram, out of the box there was only one ram module) ?

Other idea ?

Thanks in advance for any help

Chrisbati

Sep 14, 2024
Hello,
as explained, it was opened yesterday, still sealed, never started in his life before yesterday.

It started well with the one ram module inside.

Just moving this module in the other slot, and it doesn't start anymore.
I use a swab with isopropyl to clean the contacts inside.

All the 6 ram modules I have works just fine in slot 2 (with no other module in slot 1).

All the 6 ram modules I have doesn't work in slot 1 (with no other module in slot 2).

So the exact same module are working perfectly in slot 2 and none of them work in slot 1.

I don't even try to run the laptop with 2 modules, just trying to run it with one module in slot 1 (even if the goal is to have 2 modules).

And in the 6 modules I've tested 2, of them are a samsung kit I've just extracted firom my other HP computer (same model, 8570).

Last edited: