HP AMA and Spectre Laptop Giveaway

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mainemoose

Prominent
Oct 5, 2017
Hi Brandon! Gotta say I'm loving the look of the Spectre in the Black and Copper colorway. My question is about the windows ink implementation... Can the pen do pressure based lineweights similar to some of the drawing tablets on the market today?

hasaanchop

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Wondering what you think makes this laptop a standout in the glutted marketplace today? It seems everything has a Core i7, and SSD, 16GB, etc.

rjone1

Prominent
Aug 15, 2017
For a product line to get mainstream success I think it is important for it to be accepted in the corporate landscape as well as the consumer landscape. What is the one feature that you think sets the spectre apart from the rest of the pack?

Henry Cortes

Estimable
Jun 17, 2014
Seeing these laptops get thinner and thinner, wouldn't that mean they're more prone to bending and snapping? How do you counteract this?

8350rocks

Honorable
Mar 14, 2013
Do you intend to offer more laptops with AMD processors that have higher end features like high quality screens, full HD+ resolutions, SSDs, and higher end graphics cards when Ryzen mobile drops?

I have not bought a laptop in 4 years because I can never find something that really fits what I want with AMD tech.

holtzj

Prominent
Oct 5, 2017
With latest craze into Wearable's from watches to headphones to VR/AR....What emphasis does HP place on the future of computing moving to multiple smaller devices working in synchronization (watch/phone/earpiece/glasses,etc...) vs the traditional PC/Laptop route? And what parallels are drawn between the old Server vs PC debate?

brandonhp

Prominent
Oct 5, 2017

I think we are reshaping computers today! It's an journey, not a final destination.

You can do far more with your PC today than you could a few years ago. New form factors and new use cases have emerged over the last few years. We invented the convertible form factor. We have integrated new features such as inking, biometrics, and security features (like the integrated privacy screen!) to name a few. All of these enable new experiences we couldn't do years ago.

Take the Spectre 13 we just announced - a 10.4mm device with up to a Intel Core i7 processor, shrunk the footprint since last year, added an optional 4K touchscreen, IR camera, and improved audio. The new Spectre x360 builds on an already great product in a smaller footprint, more performance, longer battery life, improved inking experience, and more security with the fingerprint reader and integrated privacy screen.

Even desktops have been on a journey of reinvention. A few years ago, you wouldn't dare put one of the desktops in your living room. But today, they are showpieces and designed for new experiences. Take the Pavilion Wave and the ENVY Curved All in One as key examples.

So.. what do you want to see to further the journey of reshaping computers?

brandonhp

Prominent
Oct 5, 2017

It comes down to the fact that we have different customers with different needs. Some customers want ultimate portability. They want the thinnest, lightest device they can find but don't want to tradeoff basic functionality, quality, and the newest technologies. This is why we have products like Spectre 13 and Spectre x360 13". Discrete graphics performance is not prioritized higher vs mobility.

Then we also have customers who want higher levels of performance, like you've mentioned. For those customers, we have products like Spectre x360 15" on the premium portfolio with discrete graphics for creatives, or an OMEN laptops for the gamers, or even a mobile workstations in our Z portfolio for the ultimate in performance.

oliyay

Prominent
Oct 5, 2017
Do you think VR is something that will be integrated in to OS for all laptops in the near future?

argenthorizon

Commendable
Feb 26, 2016
I haven’t bought a new laptop in about 7 years since I picked up a Macbook Prop (sacrilege I know). However, after using it for such a long time and trying out other laptops I have a few points that I’d like to get some perspective on: keyboards, trackpads, and heat dissipation. What has HP done in there current line up to address these areas?

Keyboards on many laptops I find mushy, have odd spacing or the whole chassis has so much give that it affects the typing experience.

Trackpads are often a bit sluggish, don’t have a clean and smooth feel to them, have bad buttons etc. I haven’t found one outside of Apples that felt great.

Heat dissipation is something that comes up a bit when reviews are talking benchmark and thermal throttling but I hear less about it outside of that. Apple is notoriously bad here and I would love a light laptop that I can do my work on or even very light gaming on that stays nice and cool to the touch without sounding like I stuck my head in a wind tunnel.

Thanks!

brandonhp

Prominent
Oct 5, 2017

Good question. A high performance graphics card is really important to drive all of those pixels. I recommend something on the order of NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 with an Intel Core i7 processor. And for that, I'd steer you toward one of our newest (shipping soon!) OMEN X laptops which comes with the i7 processor, GTX 1080 graphics, and a 4k option.

USAFRet

Illustrious
What is the latest and greatest on battery?
There is ALWAYS a tradeoff between performance and battery runtime.

Anything new coming down the pipe, in either better battery tech, or lower power consumption components?

brandonhp

Prominent
Oct 5, 2017

Thanks! I may be biased, but love the color as well. It's distinct, unique, and premium looking. We spend countless hours engineering these devices to optimize performance per millimeter. It's about the materials we use, the component layout inside the device, and the thermal design to extract the heat. For the new Spectre 13, we use a mix of aluminum and carbon fiber to better dissipate the heat. We use heat pipes and fans to move the heat out of the device as efficiently as possible. And even added a thermal sensor to help regulate and control air flow. It's a complicated system!

Regarding the discrete graphics, you can find the Spectre x360 15 with an NVIDIA GeForce 940MX. The GTX 1050 or above performance is really geared more toward gaming. If you want that, I'd recommend one of the gaming laptops - either OMEN or the Pavilion Gaming laptop.

ksalin4

Prominent
Oct 5, 2017
Is the a lock function for the convertible feature? I would love it if there was a physical lock preventing the screen from detaching

brandonhp

Prominent
Oct 5, 2017

Great question. Our x360 products (like the Spectre x360) do not detach. The hinge on these allow you to flip the screen around 360 degrees to use in different modes like traditional laptop mode, tent mode for sharing, or tablet mode if you wanted to draw or take notes.

We call the ones that detach as detachables, such as the Spectre x2. Those detach but don't have a locking mechanism. Great feedback though! We'll definitely consider it for future generations of the products. Can you give me a better sense of which scenarios you'd like to lock the keyboard to the tablet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS